Jetting Help!

Alex_o345

Hey guys,

I have an 01 shee with FMF Fattys, K&N Air Filter with no airbox lid, TORS eliminators and thats about it everything else is stock as far as I know.

From what I've read I should be using 280s - 300 main jets. But when I put in anything that big it wont even hit powerband it just boggs HARDD. I had to keep the stock 200 mains in and put the needle clip on the 5th position (closest to blunt end) and it was running good for a bit but still seems to be a little rich. So I put 190's in and had the airscrew 2 turns out and all of a sudden it start pulling like crazy the best its ever ran. Went for 2 rides and on the 3rd it started to hesitate at WOT and didn't feel like it was pulling as much.

So first off I was wondering if there's something that could be requiring me to run the bike so lean? After an hour ride when I had it running good with the 190s the plugs were nice and brown so I don't think it was too lean.

Everyone i've told this is amazed that my bike hasn't blown up yet -- so I don't understand what's different about mine. I hear the float height could cause rich symptoms but is there anyway that could be it?  I've never really checked them because it never leaked gas.

And what can I do about the hesitation at WOT there's no way I have to go to a 180 is there?

One other thing is my compression is just under 115 on both sides could that be causing my problem? Its been like that the whole time I've had it -- 2-3 years.

Any knowledge would be great. Thanks.

what elevation are you at? you should diffently do a leak down test that well make u run rich with the fmfs and k@n air filters you should be at least 260 mains to 300 i have fmf sst with k@n air filters open box and carbon fiber reeds and run 270s at 850 ft elevation between 60 and 90 degrees. i would say that somewhere u have an air leak though

there is an actull kit u can buy and u ad air to it to see if holds psi or u can vacuum it it can have leak from more than just carbs exp. head looose jugs not tight broke seal lots of things and any one of them can cause it to get air top laces theres not suppose to be

one more thing, what kind of compression tester did you use when you got 115psi ?   There are some major variances amongst those things so you could be closer to 90 psi on another compression tester.  I'd find someone with a snap on compression tester or take it to a shop that has one and let them do a compression test on it.   - 2 cents.

yah its forsure the stock Mikuni carbs. The compression tester I used is one that screws in -- probably not the best. I will try bringing it to a shop it test it again. And try and find someone with a leakdown tester to see if everythings up to par. Maybe it could just use a fresh top end -- really nothing else it could be eh?   Thanks for the suggestions.

Been down this road as well. Went from a stock cylinder with t5's to a dune port with t5's. put it on shearers dyno and it pulled 56 Hp with 200 mains and 27.5 pilots. Motor is solid with no leaks and just didn't like anything over 200 mains and it had the stock airbox with pro adapter filter.

And its still running strong?