485 or 535 cheetah pv?

shee4202

Hello All,

I have a cheetah 421 pv and love it. I ride mostly trail and occasionally roads. I have a friend that is thinking of going with either a 485 cheetah pv or 535 cheetah pv. I'm going to sell the 421 and get either kit as well. It'd be a lot cheaper for me anyway to go with the 485 because I can use the 4mill crank that I have now and with the 535 I'd have to get a new crank and most likely a hindsen clutch set up.

What do you think? Would the 535 be too much in trails? Is it going to make that much of a difference, especially for trail riding?

Edited by shee4202

HANDS DOWN, 535! The added stoke makes for WAY more bottom end. I have buddys with both, 535pv and a 485pv. They both run hard up top, but the bottom end tq is not even comparable. Spend the extra money, you wont regret it!

We do do race to often, im sure it would be a close race. But racing does not show the big advantage to the extra stroke. The bottom end and mid range is where the huge difference between the two are. They both scream up top. If all your worried about is top end, then id say save your money. i would not even WASTE your time and money going from a 421 to a 485. its not worth it. The 535 is running a stock clutch with a slingshot, and the 485 is running a stock clutch with a lockup.

We do do race to often, im sure it would be a close race. But racing does not show the big advantage to the extra stroke. The bottom end and mid range is where the huge difference between the two are. They both scream up top. If all your worried about is top end, then id say save your money. i would not even WASTE your time and money going from a 421 to a 485. its not worth it. The 535 is running a stock clutch with a slingshot, and the 485 is running a stock clutch with a lockup.

Thanks, that definitly helps I think that I will be doing the 535 pv. Whats the lockup and slingshot do?

Slingshot and lock up work off of centrifugal force. The faster the motor spins, more clamping pressure is created through weights or balls.

Is a lock up on a stock clutch be a good idea for a 535 in the trails? I always thought lockup's were for drag.

• 2 weeks later...

is your transmission modified in any way on the 421 now?

a lockup in the trail is going to make the bike shift very very hard when it is reved up.  lower rpms and it would work ok..  

the 485 and the 535 if set up right are very similar in HP numbers. BUT like said above the 535 makes a lot of tq.  either motor can be built to make more tq using porting and the pv's.  either motor is going to be a fun ride.  the 485 from the 421 you may not notice a big differnence depending on if the 421 is ported and really worked over motor..   head design and porting make a big difference on any cheetah.   if your still running a bone stock clutch basket and it is still in one piece.  your really easy on the bike.  a billet hard anodized matton basket would be mandatory on any of these motors.  the 535 if really pushed hard might need the straight cut hinson setup to really make it a long time. 

i have both a 485 and a 535. i "dunned" the 485 on alky and it was a beast.   it was actually very hard to keep down on a +6. 

I would not go from the 421 to the 485 if it were me.. either get yours ported and domes ect or get a 535 if you want to keep the pv's and get it worked over as well.. the bottom end of the 535 will be a lot of power in the trails trust me unless you have a long swinger on it, it will wheelie I trail mine around but I really would not call it trails..

if you honestly love your 421 get someone that ports cheetahs to work it over it will run with a trinity 485 im sure of that and its way cheaper