Tranny Oil

banshee_89

Rod- Toomey recomends using castrol 20w50 right there in the instructions for thier clutch install- http://www.toomey.com/html/clutch.htm  (towards the end)

You're not talking about "anti friction modifiers" are you??

That's good info. And yes... anti friction modifiers I heard are not good for clutches. I don't know. I haven't seen any written proof of this.

Anti friction modifiers can NOT be used in our clutches, but castrol GTX doesn't have any. You know that little star or circle looking thing on oil bottles with the ratings? (something like sj, sl, or C-1,etc, etc.) If it says "energy conserving" or something along those lines in that circle thing, can't use it. Check out your castrol bottle and check out something like Mobil 1 full syn, you'll see what I mean.

Remember "Anti wear additives" are in all oils, "anti friction modifiers" are different (didnt want you to freak out if you checked out your castrol bottle)

written proof? Im all over it.

Its hard to find anything on the net other than amsoil ads!

I found this in my 2001 owners manual-

Recomended oil:

Yamalube 4 (10W30) or SAE 10W30

Recomended oil classification:

API service SE,SF,SG type or higher

Oil quantity:

Total Amount:

!.7 L (1.8 US qt)

Periodic oil change:

1.5 L (1.6 US qt)

CAUTION

Be sure to use motor oils that do not contain anti-friction modifiers. Passenger car motor oils (often labeled "energy conserving") contain anti-friction modifiers which will cause and/or starter clutch slippage, resulting in reduced component life and poor engine performance.

Castrol GTX is API SL rated which means its "or higher"

Notice how it starts off with "be sure to use motor oils that ...." yes motor oils, MOTOR oils. I got tired of spending 6 bucks plus on "motorcycle gear oil" and havnt regretted switching over to the castrol, ever. I change so often it feels way better to throw away about $2.50 instead of $10 of oil. But thats just me.

i use bel ray gear saver 75w i believe. it works 100 times better than 10 40 castrol, with that it would shift worth a damn. gear saver made it smooth, and way better. thing about it looks, smells like auto tranny fluid. so like bdbanshee claims type f would work. and isnt 6 bucks a liter like gear saver

75 WT gear saver is Like water. No oil cushion will wear gears. Check out What Stuart Toomey Thinks about it. Check out his details on clutch page.

I know there all Opinions, But Clean oil is the Best and at 1.65 a Quart I know I can keep it Clean.

Motor Oil been working in all of My bikes since 1973. I never lost a Tranny or blown a clutch with it.

Here is Toomeys Thought On it. Look at last paragraph .The Choice is yours.

I will agree that gear saver does make a poor shifting tranny smoother.

ok if it make then shift better than what is so wrong with them. yeah i know a thick oil will hold up better but come on. with 10 w 40 i was missing shifts, hell some times it wouldnt go into gear. it was actually a pain to shift adn if you speed shifted like drag please it sucked.

after using the bel ray, it is nice like it was when stock. i am probably wrong but if its a bitch to shift adn whatnot with reg oil then using bel ray or tranny fluid helps then i guess im lost.

i know toomey been around and is probably correct but it was a bitch to shift with reg oil

my 2 cents