wiring question

hey guys. I bought I new harness for a 03 up. upon trying to connect all the wiring, I found a blue wire coming out of the harness about 3 inches back from where the stator connector is.  im trying to figure out if this is the voltage regulator wire or not ?      I also have a blue wire comin out by the cdi connector along with a black and yellow wire.  according to the Clymer I should have a green yellow and black for the tail/brake light.    any help is appreciated !!

That schematic is actually for the older harness, but the blue wire part is the same. The only blue wire in the harness is the tail light circuit as shown above. The blue wire in the voltage regulator circuit is actually part of the regulator. It plugs into the yellow wire in the harness on 87-01 and yellow/red on 02-06.

according to the manual I should have a green, a yellow and a black for the tail/brakelight. coming out of harness by the cdi box.   I have a solid yellow, solid blue, and a black .   I also have a BLUE wire coming out of harness about 3 inches back from where the stator connector is.     the wire coming out of regulator is also blue.  so im not sure what wire to hook the reg wire into ?    I have a 93 shee sittin here to look at but it doesn't do me any good cuz it just has a tail light.. 

The blue wire by the stator is for the rear brake switch on the newer model bikes.  If you dont have a rear brake switch by your rear brake pedal then it wont be plugged into anything.  The blue wire for the voltage regulator is the one right by the cdi.  Then your actual brake light will plug into the yellow wired connector at the back of the bike.

It's been a while since I owned my '05 so I'm just going off the clymer manual. Although there is 1 documented mistake in the Clymer, I have never run across a mistake in their wiring diagrams. You just have to know how to read them. The colors you are seeing by the tail light, are the colors from the connector to the tail light. If you backtrack upstream, you will see that the 2 power feed wires, in the harness, are yellow and blue like you have in your harness. The grounds are always black. As mentioned before, the blue voltage regulator wire plugs into the yellow/red harness wire. Again, that blue wire by the stator connector doesn't belong there. Someone has added it. The rear brake switch wires should be yellow/red for the power feed and yellow for the power to the brake light. If you want to know what that blue wire is, get out your multimeter and see what circuit it connects to or just peel back the tape and see.

the harness is brand new oem one..i don't have a yellow/red wire coming out of the harness .  this is a new build bike so I don't have everything hooked up or all the parts I need just yet, but I am getting close to be able to have it running..

All of the harness's in my possession have a blue wire that yout regulator plugs in to, however if you trace forward it does splice into the yellow/red wire that feeds power to all the lights. So other words you should have blue yellow and black at the very back for the tail light, next blue wire forward of those will be for your regulator