Just Bought, Now Only One Cyclinder Runs.

wbshee

Ok, here's the deal. Have had a couple Banshees about 7 years, and have since been out of the scene. Got back in the other with a used '98. When I test rode it, it was great. Very clean, but despite I good check for critical stuff and peformace, I didn't inspect every last screw or anything.

Now, when I got home, I was letting it idle and I noticed the right pipe wasn't really producing exhaust. More of a sputter. I figured it was a fouled plug. Pulled it and it was really wet and dark, tried to ground and spark it with no luck.

Being night time I figured I would just pick up plugs the next day and get it running again. In the mean time, I peformed some general maintenace (filters, tranny oil, brake fluid, etc) and I brushed up on my Banshee jetting to see if everything was correct. Well, upon further inspection of the carbs I found the following problems:

1) Idle screws were not set to same position.

2) Sync was off on the throttle cable.

3) Pilot air screws missing on both?!?! Yes, unless there is some reason why they would be removed on both carbs, or unless I am totally an idiot, they are gone. These are stock carbs iwth TORS. From what I understand, they should be on the side of the carb that has the punch hole (slide window) and the idle screw is on the other side. There is a threaded hole where it should be from what I understand, but not there.

Ok, looked every where for replacement screws, couldn't find any, had to order them (holding off though until I get more info). So I decided since it seemed to run rich overall I would just clean and synch and see how it worked in the mean time w/o them. Well, I cleaned the hell out of these things and synced em up. Put in brand new plugs. 1st kick, she started alright, but again, only on one cyclinder. The cyclinder that fires runs great and strong it seems, even carrying the other one. The running side warms up quickly, the other side (pipes and exhuast) it as cold as before it was started. All it does is sputter a little smoke here and there.

I pulled the plug on the side not running, grounded it and kicked it. I got a spark. The plug was not totally dry either, so **some** fuel must have been entering (or might have been left over, who knows).

So my questions are:

1) What is up with the pilot screws. Are my asumptions that there is a problem here right or wrong?

2) What can I do to troubleshoot that other cyclinder that is not running? If I get a spark, I must not be getting fuel into the cyclinder, right, or it would be running (good or bad, but still running)? I know the carb is getting fuel, because after cleaning the carbs, the float stuck on the carbs that feeds the dead cynlinder during reassembly and was dumping fuel all over the floor (obviously that was fixed before starting =). The slide and main (again confused about the pilot) were clean and in working order. I tried disconnecting both TORS plugs, and no success. It still persists at higher throttle, so I don't think it is a fuel/air problem.

I'm just really frustrated because I left the Banshee scene because of maintenance problems before (perhaps I just have bad luck buying used bikes =( ). Despite maintaining and babying them, fatal problems would eventually occur.

Anyways, any help would be really appreciated. I haven't even been able to go out and run this thing since I've bought it. I'm getting very discouraged, and being fairly mechanically inclined (at least good with tools and following directions =) ) I refuse to merely take it to a shop and pay more money until I have exhausted my own resources.

Thanks for reading this whole I thing, and I hope someone can help me get this thing onto the dirt before I go crazy.

PS- To give you an idea of the setup, I have t-5's, k&n filters with outerwears, 290 main jet (pilot unknown), and everything else basically stock. I also confirmed the choke tube was properly linked between the two. Like I said, I had a float stuck down, so a took it apart and put it back together. I rattled it prior to installing and you could hear it moving. Pretending that fuel is not entering the cylinder, I would suspect it is a stuck float up, but doesn't sound plausible since I just took it apart and checked. What else could it be? Reeds..? Not quite up on my two stroke mechanics just yet.

Again, please let me know anything I can try to troubleshoot this. Despite just buying this thing, and being very disappointed so far, I already had a big plans for riding with everyone on Saturday, so I'm down to try anything you guys throw at me to get back in business ASAP.

And one more thing. Supposedly the top end was replaced a little while ago and has only had a handful of rides on it.

Thanks again.

Well first switch the sparkplug wires. To see if one of the caps may be bad. If the other side starts to run, there ya go. But the reed peddle could have chiped or cracked. If none of that helped take a compression test. Then just maybe the black box just went bad. But that is just too coinsadental. Check a few things and get back. :unsure:

Ok, this morning I started it up again. I had both sides firing, because the side that was dead started to produce luke warm exhaust out the back. The pipes also warmed up, but nothing like the strong side.

I can tell it just isn't running well, because the strong side produces very powerful exhaust, while the weak side produces very weak exhaust out the back.

Again, not being an expert be any means, I think the right side might be lean, which would account for the misfire/backfire. It also makes what I think is the pinging sound people refer to. Again, not even close to a pro, been 7 years since I owned a two stroke, so I could be way off. I'm just confused because if both carbs are in perfect sync, they should be running the same.

This leads me to my other big question... what is up with those pilot screws! Is there any good reason they should not be there? With them all the way off, wouldn't that produce an exceptionally lean condition?

Also, won't switching the spark plug caps as you suggested screw up the firing. IE: It will fire while they are down instead of up since they are reversed?

Thanks for your reply, all help is greatly appreciated. My local shops are all closed up today cus they are itchin to get to the dunes. All I can do at this point is take your guys' advice and hopefully get it going.

Ripper is right on. Switch the caps. Both plug wires fire at the same time. When the piston is all the way down the plug fires but doesn't do anything. They call it a "dead fire"...I'd strongely suggest you get a compression tester and see where your compression stands. At least you'll know whats going on inside the motor. As far as the screws:.... get them immediately.....Your jetting will be way off and inconsistent and you'll also get dust and dirt in the carbs and motor.....Not good...Like ripper said, it wouldn't hurt to check the reeds. How did you sync the carbs??

Guys, I fixed everything and got in running in tip top shape. Thanks for your help. The last thing I need to do is adjust the idle just atad higher. It idles real low, and after a minute or less of idling, it keeps wanting to cut out, and finally does. I played with the airscrews and have it set perfect, between where it starts reving real high either immediately or slowly (lean) and where it won't idle and bogs (rich). So I think I just need as little as a hundred RPMs on idle and she should run just great.

Thanks!

Guys, I fixed everything and got in running in tip top shape. Thanks for your help. The last thing I need to do is adjust the idle just atad higher. It idles real low, and after a minute or less of idling, it keeps wanting to cut out, and finally does. I played with the airscrews and have it set perfect, between where it starts reving real high either immediately or slowly (lean) and where it won't idle and bogs (rich). So I think I just need as little as a hundred RPMs on idle and she should run just great.

Thanks!

You should adjust the air screws so it idles the highest then turn the idle knobs down to compensate....