Mods

Hockey390

I had a post on here but didnt get a chance to check it until today. In which they have deleted it since it was on the old forum. My question was what mods would you suggest me to make on my 87 banshee. I have it running really good now and enjoy working on it so I want something to do to it.

I'm not looking at spending alot of money or anything, in fact I'd prefer just making tweeks to certain areas to make it run better, faster, or anything else. If the suggestion you make requires buying items, only list them if they will require less then $100. I'm just looking for suggestions. Right now I have K&N filter, removed snorkle, just replaced the front bushings, has new chain, new sprockets, new clutch cable, fairly new Maxxis Razr's on rear..thats all I can think of, the rest is stock. This weekend I'm adding : Speedometer, shock covers, and a case saver. Please list all you can think of... :wacko:

I don't know why you would need a speedometer. Anyways, I can suggest some mods though. Some you can do yourself. I would shave the head, lighten the flywheel, mod the shift star, (these can be had for $140, including shipping). Now, I would get some jets, and get a set of used pipes. Ebay would be the place for that. A set of pipes will wake the bike up like no other mod can make happen. Although some of the little mods can make a big difference in rideability when added up. You can take a dremel and port your reed cages. This will improve flow into the motor, and give you better throttle response. The flywheel mod and head mod will give wicked throttle response. And the head mod will give some power to you as well. Good luck.

The speedometer is just something I wish it had. I have no way to test how fast I am accelerating because I have nothing to compare to. Also top speed things like that. But besides the speed-o, what would you consider a "good" set of used pipes? I already have new needles and jets because of my K&N filter, but if I get a set of pipes do I need to changes them again to accompany the pipes? Just using an example say I get toomey t-5's....would I need new jets? What is the shiftstar?

Just about ANY set of pipes is better than the stock ones. If you have long term goals on performance on a budget just look for any of the big-un's CPI's, FMF's, Turners, Toomey etc.....yes, you will have to re-jet. Other than that a Noss head is a great mod for more than one reason...performance, reliability, and damn those things look good. 2-1 K&N breather isn't alot of money and works real well as well....Jim

What is the shiftstar?

it is the star like piece behind the clutch basket that your shifter actuates. it turns the shift drum which changes gears inside the transmission with sliding forks. The star has large peaks on it that hinder it's movement. When these are removed, it makes shifting cleaner, and easier. When the neutral mod is also done, it makes neutral a little easier to find. And Jim hit it on the head with the pipes. This can be a thouht out plan for the future, or you can go for the power now. If you have plans in the future of modding the motor more, than get the pipes that you will want in the future now perhaps. I have a set of FMF fatty pipes with Power Core 2 silencers that I wil be parting with sometime soon. :) I am going to be doing some things to the motor that will be requiring some different pipes. Quite possible pipes that aren't yet available. We'll see in the future though. Anyways, think on it, and think where you want to be next season power wise. Maybe it may be best to save some extra $$ now and get it ported, and piped, and everything at once.... looking back, I would/should have done that myself... :blink:

You can get a GPS for around $100 and that will accuratley tell you your speed ( except uphill of course) It will also record your average speed and top speed as well. Not to mention it also marks waypoints and gets you back to camp when your out in the dunes. That's my 2 cents about the speedo.

Definatley put some pipes on that machine, I run FMF fatty's and they give me some good mid range power which is where I like it. Look at what kinda riding you do or want to do and then determine what mods will benefit you the most. This is the place to find out about all the stuff that is out there. Lots of knowledgeable people here.

Now that I think about it I wish I would have gone with the GPS instead of speedometer...Never thought about that option but it would have been alot easier to install <_< .... as for pipes, I think that will be my next mod, although I've never looked at what pipes would be best for me or even what pipes are good for what. I do trail riding in the woods, so I'm probably looking at a low-mid range pipe, high end doesnt matter much unless I'm racing a friend....but all of my friends have blasters or 250R's so I wont be needing any more top end :D .. My front tires are pretty much bald, and the rims are pretty dinged up... Are front tires that important for trail riding? I have been thinking about getting a set of rims and tires, but I'm not sure if they are worth spending the money on when I need pipes still... Give me some input on that please. Also what kind of oil should I use on my tranny, and how much? Its an 87 if that matters..