Sand tire size?

Wallrat

Hey first post. Ok I did a search but it seems like I just need to learn a few more things before I can figure this stuff out on my own. I just bought an 87 banshee and need to get some paddles/wheels for an upcoming Pismo Dunes trip. I've got FMF pipes and K&N filters but otherwise the engine is stock. I'm wondering which paddles I should get and what size? I'll mostly be doing all-around riding but I like to wheelie and jump alot as well (after I've gotten used to the new machine). Hill climbing is a nice ability but I won't be getting into anything really steep and also I won't be doing any dragging. I was checking out the Geckos or sand stars after reading through a couple hundred posts on here but I'd like to double check that these tires would be good for my needs. Also, money is kinda tight right now since I just bought the thing so I was wondering how would it affect me if I just bought the rears and kept my holeshots up front until I can afford the fronts as well? While I'm at it, what kind of pressure should I run the paddles at? FYI, Pismo is some pretty fine and loose sand but there's also the wet stuff right on the shoreline that I might occassionally jump into.

Thanks in advance,

Having ran or ran with about everything out there, I would say you need to go with the Sand Stars in a 20x10x10 on a 9" wide wheel. The hook up is much better for most tires this size on a 9 over an 8. The Stars are a really good tire, with much the same hookup as a Sand Skate II, but it looks like they are going to wear much better. They are also quite a bit cheaper than anything else with their level of traction.

As for the fronts, don't worry about it. Run what you have until you can afford to buy what you want. As far as I am concerned you want two sets of sand fronts anyway. A 22x8x10 set for drag and pure sand, and a 21x7x10 set for sand trail riding. If you are only going to have one set I would go with the 21x7x10s.

As for air pressure, I change mine depending one the sand conditions. I range from 3 to 8 pounds. I try to run more air when the sand is wet. This drops your traction level down and makes the bike more fun to ride. However, if wet sand starts to get really rough, I will start to go back down to get a better ride.

i run haulers but all i do is drag race. i've ran alot of other tires and for your conditions i'd run some sand sharks. they hook better than geckos and you can beat the living f*ck out of them and they will keep asking for more.