Steering stem mount bent!

Julito96

I see others posts with the same issue but no body write a clear measure to check my frame. My problem is that i already powder coat the frame and when i start to put the bike together i realize that the fuel tank doesnt fit in place. I need to solve this problem without damage the pc. Please if somebody know a way to do that i will apreciate.

ps. sorry for my english, im from puerto rico and im trying to do my best.

The only real way to fix it is using a lot of force. It sucks, but if you use a lot of rags it's not too bad. I did it to mine even after it was painted. Here's what you do:

1. Secure the frame to the floor

2. Wrap the steering stem mount with a shirt.

3. Place a floor jack in the frame, and rest it on the crossbar by where the Swingarm bolts to.

4. Raise the floor jack and start bending back that bar. You'll need about a 12" section of 4x4 or something similar to make it long enough to reach.

This does work, but way easier with an extra person or two to help out. Worst case scenario, some PC may crack but even if it does you'll never see it. It's going to be covered up. It still pisses you off if the PC cracks, but at least you will be the only one who knows it is there.

• 2 weeks later...

Use a bottle jack. It's not that hard to move it back.

Yeah, this is the best method. Like Tyler said, it's not that hard to move. Just place the jack on a piece of 2x4 sitting across the frame where the rear tank mounts bolt in. Then jack the hoop forwards from there. If the powdercoat is decent quality and you use some rags it should be ok. There was a thread on he where somebody was asking the measurements but I can't find it. Maybe someone with a virgin frame can help? I think I jacked mine a bit too far forwards but only by a bit under 1/4".

Oh, you're talking about the steering stop at the bottom of the steering stem? That bending forwar is very common from the constant hammering of full lock. Mine was bent forward about 1/4" at the top. So I hammered it back, ground out the crack and welded then added some gussets for strength. I did this before powdercoating though.

986_4247479837755_691179057_n.jpg