Milling a jug?

mholub

So upon further investigation, I can remove the dent by machining about 9 thousanths of an inch off of the top of the cylinder.  I feel like that is a better/easier fix than trying to fill it with epoxy or welding on it since I have access to the equipment and a machinist willing to do it for me.  There is an o-ring that sits in a groove on top of the cylinder that the domes seat into.  That groove would be shallower by that amount.  Does anyone see a problem with that sealing properly if I do that?

So you are ignoring the safer method that was proposed to you in favor of what you had already decided to do,,,didn't provide any pictures of the damage,and are willing to run the risk of damaging your nicasil ?

Here>  http://www.engineering.com/Library/ArticlesPage/tabid/85/ArticleID/132/O-rings.aspx

http://www.allorings.com/oring_groove_design.htm

So you are ignoring the safer method that was proposed to you in favor of what you had already decided to do,,,didn't provide any pictures of the damage,and are willing to run the risk of damaging your nicasil ?

Ya, I see your point.  I sent the cylinders with the guy that has the equipment before I had a chance to get pictures so that's why I have not posted any.  I might be able to get him take a couple and send them to me.  Either way, it sounds like the epoxy method has a proven track record so I will stick with that.  Thanks for helping me realize why I asked for suggestions in the first place.