Piston Size?

houghkyle

I did not measure them 6 ways.  What started the rebuild was when I revved the motor up it made this swoosh sound out the exhuast with a cloud of smoke.  It also wouldn't run without the choke on unless I held the throttle on.  And it spit what looked like oil out the other exhaust.  It is a totally stock 06 banshee that has never been rebuilt.  I thought it was time and I am hoping the rebuild fixes the issues.

It sounds like you might have some carb issues(not sure). A couple things you should do before tearing it down is a compression test and a leakdown test. If your engine passes a leakdown test and then you have, lets say at least 110lb of compression, then your ok. If your compression is below 100lbs, its about time for a top end. At this point you need to take your cylinders to a machine shop, and they can measure your cylinders and tell you if they need a bore and then order pistons to match

If you are less than half the "service" limit on bore/piston specs you could do just hone and rings. However, I wouldn't waste new pistons in an old bore, only another $100 or so to bore. You should be able to find a local shop/machine shop/dealer who can do the bore. You don't need to ship your shit to just get a simple rebuild done. Not like you're a high HP nut swinger.

Thanks guys!  I found a great local shop called JSR Performance (www.bigboremotors.com).  Come to find out, it is run and owned by 5 time Pikes Peak Champion John Stallworth.  Super nice guy and very knowledgeable.  This guy knows his way around a banshee.  I decided after JSR is done boreing the cylinders, I will have them port them and also mill the head.  A new timing plate, lightened flywheel, K&N filter, new clutch and I should be ready for the dunes come spring.  Anyone in the Kansas area looking to have their atv's or utv's worked on should really give John a call.