PVL blues

So a friend of mine recently got a 10mil twister cylinder banshee. Got it.converted back to gas today with some 38PWKs. Started right up, reved and idled fine (2 minutes).... then..... died. And wouldnt start. Checked the spark.... nothing... in either hole.

It has a PVL ignition system which i am completely unfamiliar with. Any idears?

We were able to start it before the carb swap, and it did the SAME thing. Started, reved okay (wrong carbs) and suddenly died, and wouldnt start.

So a friend of mine recently got a 10mil twister cylinder banshee. Got it.converted back to gas today with some 38PWKs. Started right up, reved and idled fine (2 minutes).... then..... died. And wouldnt start. Checked the spark.... nothing... in either hole.

It has a PVL ignition system which i am completely unfamiliar with. Any idears?

We were able to start it before the carb swap, and it did the SAME thing. Started, reved okay (wrong carbs) and suddenly died, and wouldnt start.

If you have a kill switch or button installed...remove it and re-check. Also check the air gap on the stator and flywheel. Should be the thickness of a piece of masking tape. In many cases, I've had to modify the screws for extra clearance on the pick-ups in order to get proper clearance around the entire flywheel due to the holes being drilled slightly off on the stator plate(common problem). If you are using a single kill button, you will have to install diodes on both kill wires going to the coils.  If you are still losing spark on BOTH holes after all of this,,,your stator coils, or magnets are weak.. it would be rare that both ignition coils would fail at the same time.

Install an additional ground wire from the engine case to the coil mountings under the tank for good measure.

It is CRITICAL that you never kick over the engine unless the plugs or caps are grounded to the engine. You can blow your stator easily if they are not grounded....Jim

It is hard for me to see the spark when kicking my bike with the pvl. Not a lot of spark from kicking over Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, it helps if you have some shade or not be in direct sunlight when checking spark on PVL's..you have to kick the engine over pretty fast too.

We gave it pretty good kicks. I even took one for the team and stuck my pinky in the boot, to see if itd shock me..... i didnt take one for the team needless to say.

Lemme ask yall this.... why will it spark, and run the motor when it is cold, but then die after a minute of running, and not sparj thereafter. Its done this twice.

Also.... before when it had the lectrons(alky), he had a guy try to set them up to run gas. They were able to get it running, and rode it a bit though it ran like total shit. It running like shit was due to improper carb set up. That issue is solved. Now, out of nowhere the ignition is going haywire. The ignition worked fine before, with no changes since, now something is going bad. Ive read something about some half moons? They can go bad, and theyre essentially like the pickup coil? Thatd cause BOTH ignition coils to not fire? Correct?