Countershaft seal

broke350

I've been reading several other old threads on here about leaky seals and am pretty sure I have my problem narrowed down to the countershaft seal.  Can this be replaced like the shifter shaft seal without splitting the cases?  It doesn't leak while sitting, just a small leak while riding.  Can usually ride it all day and still safe on the dipstick, but it's making a mess and I want to get it fixed since It's parked for the winter.

I've been reading several other old threads on here about leaky seals and am pretty sure I have my problem narrowed down to the countershaft seal.  Can this be replaced like the shifter shaft seal without splitting the cases?  It doesn't leak while sitting, just a small leak while riding.  Can usually ride it all day and still safe on the dipstick, but it's making a mess and I want to get it fixed since It's parked for the winter.

im pretty sure i have replaced countershaft seals without splittng,or even taking the motor out.

isnt that the seal behind the sprocket?

If you are talking about the seal behind the sprocket, then yes you can replace it with out splitting the cases.

Yep, this is the one.  Thanks guys.  Was really hoping to avoid having to pull the motor.  I'm going to go ahead and replace the shifter seal while I'm there.  I've also read about a neutral light block off that has a tendancy to crack and leak.  My stock piece seemed in good shape when I threw on my case saver last year.  Where can I go to get the aluminum one I've been reading about, and what is it called?  Thanks again guys.

• 5 weeks later...

Countershaft seal, shifter shaft seal, and new neutral switch block off installed.  Cleaning the engine and frame took longer than replacing the seals.  New water pump impeller and a-arms are next.  Hoping for this weekend.  Thanks for all the responses guys.