Help with Jetting - R2 Pipe's and 32mm Mikuni TM Carbs

Thack82

Please help me out, I've been trying to get input on a Jetting Starting Point to use with my new 32mm Mikuni TM Series Flat-Slide Carburetors and I'm not getting any feed back. Am I the only one running 32mm Mikuni TM Carb's with R2 Pipes?

My Motor is a F.A.S.T. Ported 68mm SS Serval with Chariot Billet Reed Cages/Spacers, Boyesen Power Reeds, Pro-Design Billet Intakes, Pro Flow Air Box Adapter with K&N Filter, and a EHS Air Box Lid Insert - Equivalent to running NO Air Box Lid.  

* Elevation is 740ft to 780ft above Sea Level

I was running Twin 28mm Keihin PWK Carburetors with #52 Pilot Jets and 165 Main Jets.

I did have one guy tell me he thought I should start at a 35 Pilot and 290 Mains but that sounded way to lean!!! When I had Stock Cylinder's and Paul Turner Mid Pipes with the Stock Mikuni VM 26mm Carburetors I ran a 32 Pilots and 330 Main Jets. Please help me out if you can, I need input on this.

I've heard of a Web Site that has a Keihin To Mikuni/Mikuni To Keihin Jet Size/Number Conversion Chart. If it does exist that would be very helpful.

I figure I could bank on jumping the Main up about about one size for every 2mm of Carburetor Size increase and that would get me at a good starting point.  Please get back with me and let me know what you guys think.

Thank You,

Jim  

No, 

I'm just grasping at straws honestly, I hate to buy a bunch of jets (because the come in 4 packs) that are to far in aether direction that I'll never use. When I put my 28mm PWK's and built my Serval on you guy's gave me a range of 50 to 52 Pilots and 155 to 165 Mains. I've had the other Thread posted for a couple of weeks and I can't get anybody to post a Range that I should be in. That's what I'm hoping I'll get.   

No, 

I'm just grasping at straws honestly, I hate to buy a bunch of jets (because the come in 4 packs) that are to far in aether direction that I'll never use. When I put my 28mm PWK's and built my Serval on you guy's gave me a range of 50 to 52 Pilots and 155 to 165 Mains. I've had the other Thread posted for a couple of weeks and I can't get anybody to post a Range that I should be in. That's what I'm hoping I'll get.   

A few extra jets isn't that much money compared to you wanting to run billet Mattoon cases on a stock stroke Serval.... and its alot cheaper than buying a NEW Serval topend.  Just get some jets,,or call your engine builder...or get some jets and sell the  ones you dont need. they are only about 2.00 each man.

how much are the 4 packs ?  when i buy em they and only in ones and cost around 3-5$ea.

youre going to have to buy heaps of jets and go play. or just not ride at all.

i started at 350mains, thinking i should be close but i ended up around 270. with 50 pilots and 389 q0 dump tube.  thats with the 34tm's on the 421 serval with shearers.

Thanks for the help, I'm not trying to annoy you guys, I put together a pretty extensive Jet Kit for my 28mm PWK's and I didn't use but just a few Jets. I listed the Jets I had in my 28mm PWK Jet Kit Bellow, I only used the Jets that are highlighted in Red. I used the Both Pilots and155-158 mains when I ran the Paul Turners depending on the time of year and the temperature. When I went with the R2's I used the #52 Pilot and 160 and 165 Main Jets.

I upgraded these New Mikuni 32mm Carbs to enhance the look of them and make them as efficient as possible. I ordered them from my buddy that owns a Performance ATV Shop and sent them to Mr. Bling and had him Polish them. I bought Chrome Plated Choke Knobs for both Carbs, Thunder Product's New  INTELAJET Fuel Induction System, VIP - Velocity Intense Carburetor Slide Air Foils, and Chariot Performance's Over Size (+70%) Fuel Bowls. I also went ahead and bought the 30mm/35mm Pro-Design Rubber Boot's for Billet Intakes, 32mm/34mm UPP Racing's Rubber Air Box Boots, and new OEM Style Carburetor Boot Clamps from Mikes XS.

My R2's Pipes are in West Virgina Right new getting Chrome Plated, I just want to make sure I have everything ready to go when I get them back. sprinklerman the Stock 102mm Non-Trenched Mattoon Billet Cases is the last Upgrade I need on my list after list last round of upgrades I ordered. I know I don't need them but damn I want them! I will have a set one day. Thanks for keeping a eye out for a set for me. My buddy that owns the Performance ATV Shop is a WPS Dealer and the Jets come in 4 packs and if I remember correctly there $10 a pack. I just wanted as much input on the Jetting as Possible so I could narrow my range of jets up a little. I'm going to take your advice and start with the ranges that you guys have recomended and I'm going to shoot Jeff at F.A.S.T. a email and see if he is in line with the recommendations you guys have made. Thanks for all your help.

Jim

Pilots

Mains

• 4 months later...

I have run the TM 34 carbs on stock motor, 4mil stock stroke, stock stroke cheetah, 421 serval, 465 serval. I can tell you one thing for sure: the stock jump tubes (389 Q2) are too rich. you have to change to 389 Q0. once you do that you will never have to change them again. fine tuning with the needle  clip works good.

50 pilots on your set up is way too much. 35 will be much closer. Also on the motors listed above I started the mains at 360 for every one. only on the 421 ridding in snow did i ever end up higher on the final jetting.

Also spend 50$ on jets and save your self the headache of running back and forth to get them individualy. One other important thing to watch on the TM carbs is the top plate thats screws on and has the throttle cable.... be sure its got a good seal. if this leaks which i have seen i thappen, you will need a 50 pilot to compinsate (in general, a leak down test on the rest of the motor is a given)

Also Jeff at FAST is not familiar with mikuni's.