20 Min on New Build and now This..What did I do wrong?

koster88

Hey guys... So this is my first build. My Motor MELTED both pistons last time, so I did a total rebuild. my Impeller was melted last time so i replaced that with a billet one. I have a 4mil crank, used Wisco piston, 30 over bore. Stock Carbs, adjustable timing set a 0 for now.

1 piston had 120 compression, the other had 15-20psi. I pulled the head, then jug off, and I can see that the bad piston was worn against the cylinder. the Rings are worn down, the piston, and the wall of the cylinder is scratched a bit.

When I went to take it apart the wrist pin was STUCK... I had to use a CLAMP to push a socket through. was HARD as hell to get it out!

What Do you think happened? What did I do wrong?

Here are some pics..

th_IMG_9446.jpg

th_IMG_9448.jpg

th_IMG_9456.jpg

First guess would be an air leak. Depending which side it is that burnt. Nevermind, looks like clutch side. Lean? Carb jacked up? U do a leak down? Pipe seals? Low on coolant? Forget to put the pin in the w/p gear? Just guessing. Not from experience.

Edited by dave5.0

So only one piston fried ?

What were your piston ring gaps ?, were the bores bored to the piston spec ?

Thats what i was gunna ask. 360* of damage on both pistons...Kinda would have me looking into piston to bore clearance...if jetting and stuff is close.

First guess would be an air leak. Depending which side it is that burnt. Nevermind, looks like clutch side. Lean? Carb jacked up? U do a leak down? Pipe seals? Low on coolant? Forget to put the pin in the w/p gear? Just guessing. Not from experience.

I could have carb problems, I was just trying to tune them when this hapepned. I did a leak down when I built it, and it held air perfect. I did put the pin the WP gear.

Thats what i was gunna ask. 360* of damage on both pistons...Kinda would have me looking into piston to bore clearance...if jetting and stuff is close.

its not 360, is mostly on the intake side, the exhaust side isn't worn as bad. Rings /pistons should be correct. HJR did the port/cylinder work..and matched it witht he pistons /rings for me.

Is the part number on top of the piston the same on both sides? And in the last picture it looks that you have sealant on your base gasket? And its kinda hard to tell but kinda looks like there might be 2 gaskets on it?

Its just a bad pic. I did use 3Bond on the gasket. its just 1 gasket. Tore it up pulling it off. Was good before tho. I'm not sure about he part # on the piston, would have to go look.

Looks like it was lean to me. Did you heart cycle the pistons a few times before you took off ripping on it? That is my only other thought.

• 3 weeks later...