starting a rebuild...looking for some advice

tsharktim

So my brother in law blew my shee this weekend, not exactly sure what went wrong other than one plug was loose n that side was seized. He said it started backfiring then ran good before it locked up. Didn't do a leakdown but it was just rebuilt a month ago w new top end, n seals it held 6psi for 15min. Regardless I need a crank top end n head now so I'm looking for input. Should I go w a 4mil or stock stroke w port work. What's more bang for the buck

How much do you want to spend is what it comes down to. Id send the cylinders and head to Kevin at HJR have him port it and mill the stock head, jet it, +4 timing, and go ride it, with that set up and pipes kevin does a good job at making a stock stroke banshee run awsome, you wont be dissapointed. If you want to go for it, have him hook you up with a 4mil setup, cant go wrong with either.

Cold be something such as poor fuel as you said that he mentioned one of the plugs was loose.......usually plugs only back out when there is detonation going on in the cylinders. Which is usually caused by too little octane fuel. If the plug were to meme part out and create a leak it would cause that specific side lean out and seize.

I would suggest doing a leakdown anyways just to make sure that is the only leak. I mean how much of an ass are you gonna feel like (not that you are) if you get the motor back together and smoke the rebuild again due to a leak that wasnt there before he harrowed your bike?

It was the stock head, I've been looking at used cool heads already. I live I'm Mi and ride whatever I can but its usually sandy trails up north. I want to focus on adding top end becuase it has enough bottom for me. I was Runnin t-6s , +4, 290 main which was a lil too rich, k&n filter, box w no lid. Im thinkin a dune/play port from hjr, hot rods crank , and used cool head. I just can't afford the 4mil and porting right now