Will it hold up?

BansheeBoy347

I got a muncie np465 tranny im going to be putting in my truck and it had a np208c transfer case behind it. I hear they are not to strong and crack because its aluminum casing. My truck has 5.13 gears and pulling 38 swampers but will be getting 44s soon. And im making 450hp with my 327. Will it hold up with the hp that I have? Or should I get a np205? I hear there the strongest you can get factory. But I got a np203 behind a th350 in my garage so maybe I should just swap it out with the 208.

It will hoold up okay. The only thing with the 2.05 is they do not have as low of a low range as the 203 or the 208. When you are talking about going to 44's even with 5.13 gears you are going to want as low of a low range as you can have. I ran a 203 behind a turbo 400 with cut 44" boggers and a built 454 for a long time and had no issue with it at all.

It should pull them good because the sm465 has a very low first gear and I might change the gearing for a lower gear on down the road. But Im wanting to get a exo cage and it 4 linked front and back soon. My buddy builds rock cralwers and he said he would cut me a deal on the work.

Edited by BansheeBoy347

O if you are running a 4 speed you will be in good shape with either t case.

• 1 month later...

454, is, respectfully, all tq. what is useable is a huge part low-end, anyways. a 327 is a whole bunch of rev and hp, but is going to fall short on the low-end tq by far. just something to chew on. i wouldn't hesitstate to swap to a beefier setup, unless it is a concrete mudder

Personally, I wouldn't run a chain driven T case on anything with tires bigger than 35. I would definitely put in a 205. They're around all over the place for cheap. So, go with a NP465, 205 T case, GM corporate 14 bolt, and chromoly front axle shafts. It's unfortunate that GM never used a high pinion Dana 60. If you wanna really kick it up a notch, go with a Ford high pinion Dana 60 and a left side drop T case.

Personally, I wouldn't run a chain driven T case on anything with tires bigger than 35. I would definitely put in a 205. They're around all over the place for cheap. So, go with a NP465, 205 T case, GM corporate 14 bolt, and chromoly front axle shafts. It's unfortunate that GM never used a high pinion Dana 60. If you wanna really kick it up a notch, go with a Ford high pinion Dana 60 and a left side drop T case.

youre going to pay 1500 for that front axle. I did the same thing but with a dana 44 high pinion driver side drop. 77-79 Ford F250 was the best. I built the 44 and a 14 bolt semi floater with 400 hp and never broke anything. I ran the same 4 speed youre talking about. I did break the coupler between trans and transfer case quite a bit if I dumped the clutch.