cases wont come apart ...ha

sickR

hello everyone ,first post since on site

got a question

i got a shee motor on my workbench ,i got everything off ,and every bolt off

seems like i would get the banshee motor that wont split ,i hammered on it with a rubber mallet and dead blow for about 30 mins ,and it wont budge,im not a small dude either ,but i dont want to break stuff either ha

i went over the cases to make sure i got every bolt out like three times.looked at the manuel a bunch to make sure im doing it right

and im not taking a screwriver to the cases at all

if anyone could help me i would appreciate it .thanks

Last one I Did I ended up using a threaded rod, socket, and a nut put em together then used it as a separator right next to the crank/stator. Used the nut to push against the socket to push the cases apart. Also use one on the clutch side if u put it in the right area. That all make sense?

yes the bearing retainer is off

that was first thing that came to my mind when splitting the cases

the whole threaded rod idea i get ,sounds like something i might have to do

i just now the banshee cases are pretty weak around the sprocket area ,i dont want to crack the top or bottom case putting pressure on it with the threaded rod idea ,but i might have to do it

thanks guys

Edited by sickR

alright a little update ,went outside today too clean up the clutch cover,check waterpump and clean up some parts

decided to try to get the cases apart ,no luck again ,i hit the bottom case bolts .then hit the top case then bottom case ,the sealent used on the motor looks like yamabond

is there a certain point i should hit the cases ,probably going to try the pusher idea with the threaded rod tomorrow

i would love to post pics when the motor is done ,but i got to get the cases split so i can drop the crank in

If the cases are that tight something is wrong. There are 8 nuts on the bottom, 8 bolts on the top and the strap across the bearing behind the clutch.

If you are going to try to get the cases apart with the socket/all thread method make sure to distribute the force with something bigger than a small socket as you will break the cases. A piece of steel the entire length of the Mag area would be best.

Adam

It won't take hardly any force a all to pop the seal with the socket/threaded rod deal. You're only gonna do that to break the seal. Maybe get an 1/8" of clearance then move to the other side. Then you can pop it apart. The beating it with a mallet method doesn't always work because it's hard to get ahold of the damn thing to put pressure on it while you smack it. And depending what the las guy used it might be stuck good. Once they initial pop is done you'll be good to go. If you have to exert enough force on the cases that you are worrying about cracking them then you definitely are doin it wrong. As usual with these threads we are prob throwing way too much crap into the mix and getting excited about something that was prob already done a friggin week ago.

Your case might have been put together with retaining compound on the bearing seats. You will struggle like a bitch if that's the case. Try heating up the bearing area's abit and then have a wack at it. Retaining compound is no joke, I've had my fair share of retaining compound on crank bearings, broke my bearing puller, ended up welding rods on the bearings. Big mess!

ya shits getting old ,been trying to tear them apart for three days ,took a hour and a half to pull everything out of the case ,first shee motor ive taken apart but of course everything cant be smooth ..ha

ive tried everything guys ,the threaded rod idea ,clamped the bottom case to work bench then hit up on the top case ,tried hitting the bottom studs on the bottom case

it doesnt look like any retainer was used around the bearings ,just looks like the owner before me ,used way too much yamabond or threebond ,i did find alot of water in the bottom case ,im thinking the cases are rusted shut like a mutha trucker .

i dont have a propane torch either ,im a 250r owner and ive done alot of them and i thought they were a pain in the ass ,ive always heard banshee cases were super easy ,nope not this one

Aluminum doesn't rust, just sayin.

true

but i did get the cases apart ,decided to give the threaded rod pusher another go put it in a different spot and turned it a few more times then i did before ,hoping nothing would break ,but they opened right up .then did the other side and bam there it was

can finally drop the crank in and cub