shortening the wiring harness

tiffnaub

i would like to shortening it up but i dont what i can cut and what i cant cut

If you don't understand it completely I wouldn't play with it too much. I took mine out and eliminated all sorts of things. It takes some time and patience, a little bit of headache, and some studying of the wiring diagram. All it really need is the few ignition wires, the wires running to a kill switch, and lighting wires(if desired). The ground wires also all run back to the stator as well. Mine came out pretty neat, but i wouldn't mind completely rewiring the whole thing from scratch now.

Some people keep there key others think its not needed. I personally like having a key, but hated where it was so i relocated it under the seat. (not my idea but one i got from another member)

TON!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so what about the wires going to the key?

Idk, I don't run a key thats up to you, it's easy to eliminate, but i would probably keep it, considering putting one back in mine. The wires do come out of all the weatherproof connectors and you can cut & put new end on them and reinstall the connections if you're looking to just shorten wires. I thought you where just eliminating wires.

Idk, I don't run a key thats up to you, it's easy to eliminate, but i would probably keep it, considering putting one back in mine. The wires do come out of all the weatherproof connectors and you can cut & put new end on them and reinstall the connections if you're looking to just shorten wires. I thought you where just eliminating wires.

I don't have a key i took it off when i lost my key at the dunes but for a quick fix i just taped all the wires together i would like to get rid of all that its been like this for 10 years

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
You can do it you just need a wiring diagram. I used the one in the back of my Cymers. Theres some nasty stuff in the stock harness I'm surpised they dont fail more often. Mine had brass hog ringed gang grounds on it. I cut all the crap off. [img=http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/pb_paulie_b/P1300016.jpg]

Do you have any more details how you shortened the harness that much? I don't see the voltage regulator and I'm guessing that's because you are not running lights. I'm trying to retire mine now and am having problems. I have a Clymers though.