14/41 or 15/42 Gearing

BansheeTeam

Hey everyone! I'm currently running 15/41 gearing and honestly I haven't seen any changes when I went up a tooth on the front sprocket so what should I do put the 14/41 back or go 15/42 like one tooth up on the back what will I achieve this way. I have plenty of acceleration I want a bit more top speed without sacrificing much bottom. 20'' rear tires

Also I topped out at 85.6 Mp/h (137.8 km/h) According to my trail tech vapor. Is that good? How can I get a bit more I wanna be able to do like 88, 89

Mods:

Toomey T5

K&N Pods w/ outerwear 300 Main jet

V-Force Reeds 3

+2 Timing (not sure maybe on 0 i asked for +4 but the guy said he used the safe way) (but I have installed an adjustable timing plate) Help please should I double check and make it +4 what good will it do?

Thanks In advance :cheers:

post-40897-0-58262600-1346172571_thumb.jpg

15/41 is a 2.73 gear ratio, 15/42 is a 2.80 gear ratio and 14/41 is 2.92. Your current set up will give you the most top speed out of the three. If you want more top speed and have enough power to pull it go to a 16 front or down on the rear.

Make sure your timing is at +4, I've ran my trail bike at +4 for years with no problem like a bunch of others here.

How long of a track are you running on?

Are you are max speed before you get to the traps?

Hey everyone! I'm currently running 15/41 gearing and honestly I haven't seen any changes when I went up a tooth on the front sprocket so what should I do put the 14/41 back or go 15/42 like one tooth up on the back what will I achieve this way. I have plenty of acceleration I want a bit more top speed without sacrificing much bottom. 20'' rear tires

Also I topped out at 85.6 Mp/h (137.8 km/h) According to my trail tech vapor. Is that good? How can I get a bit more I wanna be able to do like 88, 89

Mods:

Toomey T5

V-Force Reeds 3

+2 Timing (not sure maybe on 0 i asked for +4 but the guy said he used the safe way) (but I have installed an adjustable timing plate) Help please should I double check and make it +4 what good will it do?

bigger front sprocket + smaller rear sprocket will give you more top end speed and your engine will have to work harder to get it there.

smaller front sprocket + bigger rear sprocket will give you less top end and let your engine not work as hard to get it there.

the trick is finding how tall a gear your bike will pull on given track conditions...... :)

Edited by Hilarious

Mods:

Toomey T5

V-Force Reeds 3

I'm running 15/39 on my 02, with bolt ons don't know top speed but will lite the rear end up pretty much off idle. will leave 12 ft of black mark when hitting sixth gear on pavement.

• Like 1

Yep, with your mods, that's about all your gonna get out of it. I'm sure that's a half mile run down a paved road to get to that speed.

Yeah but there is a wired thing going on if I'm driving on a road thats going up my speed keeps climbing if the road is going down it's like its maxed out. Strange isn't it? Last time I tested top speed was on a straight paved road I'll try again on a road going up and one going down ( It's not a really huge climb or like I'm heading downhill its just a small degree)

It takes less than half mile more like a quater to top out it hits 75 really quick after that it takes a couple of seconds to hit 86 I'll try again and see.

Yeah I guess I'll just try again the only reason I need more top end is to beat my friend's raptor 700. I already won 2 of them but there's just something I don't know about this guy. All of them have dual exhausts, Power commander 3, and pro-design K&N's. 2 of them who i raced and won top out almost the same as I do however my acceleration is better though so they don't really stand much against me. The third guy who I didn't race yet but saw his trail tech vapor toped out around 92 and the only extra he has was an auto-tuner and a 15/41 gearing. O and they all have their speed limiters eliminated

1st guy - Big gun duals

2nd guy - DMC force 4 duals

3rd guy - Barkers Dual <_<

It's a never ending battle out there !

One more thing guys does a boost bottle help in top end? A friend of mine said the big ones help top small ones help bottom is that true? Is it worth getting? Thanks

I'd toss the boost bottle. Get some porting, different pipes, bigger carbs, and so on so you can pull a taller gear if you really want to beat your buddies. I'm not sure what kinda parts you can get your hands on my your side of the pond.

Bigger carbs sound like a good idea I might do that or toss in a cool-head with 21cc domes maybe rebuild the top end if necessary and bore it .10 or .20 depends. However i'm happy with my pipes there really good, porting well there aren't any guys that do good porting here rather stay safe than sorry. I'm not far away from beating this guy a couple of adjustments and tuning perhaps timing.

I dont know about not being ported but usually a set of vforce reeds , having the carbs bored to just under 28mm and a set of Shearers or even CPI pipes helps a bunch over toomeys. I would think that would give you an extra few mph. Definately +4 on the timing. The reason your bike is faster uphill than downhill is possibly that either your jetting is slightly rich or due to the low 2 degrees of timing. One way or another the motor or pipe likes the heat from the extra load of going uphill.

• 5 months later...