WORK BENCH ADVICE

Don't mount your grinder/buffer and vise to your bench permanently, thats valuable real estate on your work bench. Mount a 2" receiver under your bench from a truck bumper and then mount your grinder/buffer and your vise on a 2" draw bar. Then when not in use you can remove and slide under your bench so there out of the way.

Check this link out, there are alot of good ideas on this site.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

F&F

that's a neat idea. I might have to do that when I get home.

TON!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's a neat idea. I might have to do that when I get home.

TON!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, but I can't take credit for it. I got the idea from the guys over on "garage journal"

Be wary of going to that site, you will get sucked into reading for HOURS and HOURS, some really great work shops and man caves. I have prob 30 or 40 bookmarked links from that site that I will be revisiting when the time allows some more shop revamping.

F&F

I feel your pain NYC. my garage is small as well. i have an old sturdy kitchen table in my garage. Aint much on it because i use it primarily for just working on shit. Everything else i had to put at a work station in my basement. Its small but it would fit perfect for the space you have. If you can separate the grinder/buffer from the bench definitely do it. I hate having buffer thread and polish dust all over everything. I actually use LARGE cardboard boxes and just cut recesses in them where the grinder and shit is, to cover my table when i polish. It looks crazy as fuck but it does what i need it to, which is keep shit clean.

I have a 6' craftsman work bench. It is a modular setup. You can start out with the surface of your choice and a frame. Then add the steel peg board with back light, you can add two, 3 or 5 drawer tool boxs underneith or a set of shelfs.

You have the choice between black or red, and for work surfaces you can have, MDF, Butcher Block, Bamboo Butcher Block, or Stainless steel. The stainless steel top is what I have and it is just the thick MDF board wraped in stainless. I didnt want some thing that would absorb oil. Just a quick wipe down with acetone and all oil is gone.

IMG_5732.jpg

IMG_5735.jpg

IMG_5728.jpg

IMG_5736.jpg

Here is what they look like with the under bench tool box. You can add 2 of them to the 6 and 8 foot bench but it will about fill all the area up underneith. The tool box add on's acutally bolt in as part of the bench so they are non movable and real solid. I would prefer the 5 drawer over the 3 though.

129_1108_01+august_2011_shop_space+craftsman_workbench.jpg

Edited by jbooker82

Damn u got some serious RCs

Yea and the funny thing is that Savage on bench I got from MarineNYC. The Baja 5SC is my latest one. I put it together on the kitchen table. A couple months after that was my birthday so my wife, got my mom, and mother in law to go in on the bench for my b day. She was tired of me working on the Baja 5SC on the kitchen table.

Edited by jbooker82

Yea and the funny thing is that Savage on bench I got from MarineNYC. The Baja 5SC is my latest one. I put it together on the kitchen table. A couple months after that was my birthday so my wife, got my mom, and mother in law to go in on the bench for my b day. She was tired of me working on the Baja 5SC on the kitchen table.

I forgot about that thing. How does it run?