WORK BENCH ADVICE

I has a very small garage. And since moving into my house I've been trying to do my best to organize it. I need to build a small workbench in the back corner. I want to put a bench grinder And vice. This bench is going to be in the corner and can possibly wrap around. Now it's going to need to B on the small side. I'm just tired of having to lay a towel down or fold my tailgate down to do some work on some engine components ect ect. Does anybody have some pictures of there set up so I can get some ideas. I'm not an idiot I can build a bench I just want to see the best way to organize it and set it up. Any help would be appreciated. I still have some organizing to do but it will be going in that back left corner. Ride on bitches!!

2012-08-24_20-23-12_22.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would build a bench that went from the wall over to the door, and put the vise on ther right side toward the door.

I would mount the grinder either on a stand or mount it on the left wall by the bench. Atleast I think so anyway.

Can't wait to see some ideas I would love to make something better myself.

Thats what i was thinkin lms. And Guns. I did shit like that for years. I'm tired of that. Now that I have the house and aI garage I'm trying to get it setup the right way. Thought about doing a small bench in the left corner and putting a little portion wrapping out like an L on the left and wall. I would mount a grinder and vice on that

Contrary to the name, do not mount the bench grinder to the bench. Fab a stand and mount it to that so that it's mobile. Grinders are messy. You don't want to be grinding the corners off a bracket you just made right next to a motor that you're assembling. You need something round and really heavy, like a semi truck brake drum. Heavy so it won't tip over, round so you can move it by tipping it and rolling it. Makes it easy to clean behind it and also move it outside when you have lots of grinding to do. Bolt the grinder to the stand. Mount a water pan to it like a tupperware container or something. Something that holds between a pint and a quart. If it only holds a few ounces, the water evaporates and it's always empty.

i bought my bench grinder stand from delgaurd tools, cast iron with and 8oz water container, and it was even powdercoated silver vein for 100.00. That was 2 years ago but they couldnt have gone up much, dont know if its in your budget, but it has been really nice for the price.

Harbor freight sells a real nice bench buffer btw if you dont already have one, its only like 40 bucks.

I can stop that thing by looking at it hard enough.

The brake drum is the best idea. I used to have one bolted to a pole that was welded to a steel rim.

L shape tables are the best, keep all your stuff to one side while you work on the other.

I can stop that thing by looking at it hard enough.

The brake drum is the best idea. I used to have one bolted to a pole that was welded to a steel rim.

L shape tables are the best, keep all your stuff to one side while you work on the other.

I doubt it there alot nicer then youd think, ive heard of highschool shop classes running them for years being used every single day over and over, customer reviews dont lie.

Wow man that garage is small. For your grinder you would want something moveable so it won't be in your way. What about doing a bench that's 2' deep down the right wall but have it fold back up on the wall when your not using it.

TON!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't mount your grinder/buffer and vise to your bench permanently, thats valuable real estate on your work bench. Mount a 2" receiver under your bench from a truck bumper and then mount your grinder/buffer and your vise on a 2" draw bar. Then when not in use you can remove and slide under your bench so there out of the way.

Check this link out, there are alot of good ideas on this site.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

F&F