diesel guys need opinions

kodie

So I found this duramax has 160k miles on it. It is an 03 crew cab 4x4 really clean sharp truck. I have looked at the carfax service records and havn't seen the injectors getting replaced. I know that the 01-04 duramax's have issues with bad injectors. Should I be worried about the injectors going bad soon? I know it is not a cheap fix.

Also I am brand new to diesels and would like some opinions on what trucks to look for or don't even bother with. What generation had problems and when were they solved. I like both chevy 2001 and up and dodge 2006 and up. I would like to find a standard but I know its rare in duramax and dodge is about a coin flip of finding one. No big deal.

Any opinions on the truck I am looking at would be great. I really like the truck but if it is going to have injector problems soon then I don't mind passing.

So I found this duramax has 160k miles on it. It is an 03 crew cab 4x4 really clean sharp truck. I have looked at the carfax service records and havn't seen the injectors getting replaced. I know that the 01-04 duramax's have issues with bad injectors. Should I be worried about the injectors going bad soon? I know it is not a cheap fix.

Also I am brand new to diesels and would like some opinions on what trucks to look for or don't even bother with. What generation had problems and when were they solved. I like both chevy 2001 and up and dodge 2006 and up. I would like to find a standard but I know its rare in duramax and dodge is about a coin flip of finding one. No big deal.

Any opinions on the truck I am looking at would be great. I really like the truck but if it is going to have injector problems soon then I don't mind passing.

I just bought an 04 and I love it.

Yours will need injectors. its just a matter of time bud.

Try to work a couple grand off in the deal to make it worth your while.

Other than that the LB7 is a great motor and will last you a couple hundred thou more miles!

get it

yep every single person i know with an older dmax has ended up putting injectors in them. it is an expensive job but if the truck is clean and you can get it for the right price i wouldnt let it scare me away just know that more than likely you will need to address it at some point. I myself am a cummins man, have owned several from the old ugly first gens on up. No matter which truck you get they all have little quirks. Drivetrain wise i have always owned manuals. Had a 5 speed 1st gen, a 5speed 12valve 98, and a 6 speed 01, and a 6 speed 06. The issue now is rebuild parts. New venture who provided the trannies to dodge through 05 has gone out of business, now the only option for parts is china (with questionable quality) or good used. they are still great trucks but harder to find, and will demand a higher price tag than the same truck with auto. That being said, if you are considering an automatic i would get an 07 up 6.7. Not that i think motorwise they are any better but the automatic is way better than the earlier ones. The earlier 4 speed auto trannies can be made next to bulletproof but it is expensive, and they simple do not work as well as the later 6 speed automatic trucks do. If i were in the market today for a new dodge i would be buying automatic. My opinion if you are wanting to save dough and get an older truck get the dmax and fix the issues it may have. If you are ok buying newer get an 07 up dodge, or get any year dodge with a 6 speed manual. I personally would not own any year ford, i have been hearing some good things about the latest incarnation from them but would want to see them stand the test of time if it were my money.

I don't own a diesel but a lot of my friends have them. They all say to stay away from 2004 and older Duramax's. 2005 is a good year and in 2006 and 2007 they made an LBZ motor which has more power than the other motors. I'm no pro on diesels just hear things from my friends.

Not sure if your considering Fords or not, the old tried and trued 7.3 Navistar engine is a very durable and reliable engine but it's not gonna perform in the 1320 like the newer iron does.

Are you looking for a work horse or a street racer ?

I would stay away from 6.0 unless the seller has receipts for ARP Headstuds, EGR delete and Oil Cooler updates and avoid the 6.4 as well.

I don't know to much personally about the new 6.7 Scorpion diesel but time should tell.

I bought a 01 F250 4x4 CCSB Lariat with a 6speed last fall down in Texas for quite a good price compared to what they are selling for here in Wisconsin.

Gw_800.jpg

If you decide on a cummins in the 03 to early 07 you will need to do something about the fuel filtration. It sucks due to it let's large particles get to the cp3 and the injectors. I'd recommend a air dog or fass lift pump. If you plan on chipping it or doing bigger sticks with a bigger turbo later down the road the upgraded lift pump will handle the extra fuel needed, otherwise the water separator/ 2 micron filter will save your injectors. Another thing is (and I'm not sure where you live and what the emissions laws are there but in 07 1/2 they switched to the 6.7 and with that came the dpf (diesel particulate filter). That is a piece of shit. You can't idle your truck when it's real cold due to I will plug up and it's a huge bottle neck for your exhaust. I personally have a 2000 with the VP44 pile of junk and the 47re that I dropped $4500 for upgraded and billet parts to make it bulletproof up to 650hp. Other then the tranny taking a shit at 82,000 I love the truck.

TON!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk