Best Places to camp at Florence or Winchester dunes

The wife and I are looking at taking a family vacation to either the Florence or Winchester dunes in Oregon starting August 6th for about a week.

I'm wanting some input as to where the best place would be to stay that would have nice family friendly campsites - we have 4 kids from 4 yrs old to 10.

Hoping to find a place where we can camp from our enclosed car hauler trailer and have clean onsite shower and bathrooms and close travel distance to the beach that would allow the kids to ride their 50's with out getting stuck. A campsite in the trees would be great.

Thanks !

Their is no beach riding at winchester.. Well there is but you gotta trailer your stuff to get to it, so its seperate from the dunes. Your best bet on camping at winchesterbay is discovery point, I prefer halfmoon bay campground but it gets really dusty & windy at times there.

Showers are sperate from campgrounds..

I dont have alot of time at Florence so cant really help you their.

Thanks for the replies !

We are hoping to camp out of our 24' enclosed car hauler trailer.

I thought Dunefest ends Sunday the 5th and we were looking to arrive on the 6th - unless I read the dates wrong for dunefest?

So you cannot ride from the dunes at Winchester to the beach? Where do you trailer to to unload and ride at the beach then.

Any other details on Siltcoos? I wasn't able to find it on my first search.

Thanks Again !

I thought Dunefest ends Sunday the 5th and we were looking to arrive on the 6th - unless I read the dates wrong.

Nope, I was Wong. For some reason I was thinkin it was the same dates as last year. Driftwood is nice place at Florence. Bathrooms and showers. There is a 10pm riding curfew at Florence though.

Nope, I was Wong. For some reason I was thinkin it was the same dates as last year. Driftwood is nice place at Florence. Bathrooms and showers. There is a 10pm riding curfew at Florence though.

Is there a Driftwood I and a Driftwood II ?

Anything for shade and trees there?

I camp at Florence all the time. Your best option for camping with your family is going to be Driftwood II it is a nice paved camp ground with sites that back up the the trees so if you want to set a tent up you can do that also. Your other option would be sand dunes frontier. It is just a dirt camp ground with no showers so that kind of sucks. Here is the link to the site where you make reservations for Driftwood II http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Driftwood/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70452&topTabIndex=Search if you have any questions just keep asking my family and I camp all the dunes here in Oregon several times a month.

I camp at Florence all the time. Your best option for camping with your family is going to be Driftwood II it is a nice paved camp ground with sites that back up the the trees so if you want to set a tent up you can do that also. Your other option would be sand dunes frontier. It is just a dirt camp ground with no showers so that kind of sucks. Here is the link to the site where you make reservations for Driftwood II http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Driftwood/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70452&topTabIndex=Search if you have any questions just keep asking my family and I camp all the dunes here in Oregon several times a month.

Got it. Sounds great - Thanks !

OK - so I've checked out Driftwood II a little closer as well as Discovery Point.

At the Driftwood II - can you ride from the campground to the beach? What is the sand like at the south end of Florence? It looks like you have to ride north a little ways to get into the dunes?

Any opinions or thoughts on Discovery Point?

My goal is to find a situation that is kid and family friendly and will allow for easy access to ride to the beach if possible - and if possible allow me good access to ride the bigger sand myself without having to ride too far.

Thanks Again !