paddles

sheerider11

Once you line them up do you notice the spin on the rims at all?

Befor I put bead locks on mine they would always spin on me a little so sometime they would be lined up sometimes not ?

I spin them all the time. I have to run like 20 psi to keep the bead tight, but then I lose half my paddle. I have to run a happy medium

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok....what would be proof?

Basics -

The stagger makes the bike not only bounce up and down, but side to side. This creates vibration. (How much and if it matters is debatable)

That side to side can put extra side load on everything. (you might not care)

Your getting grip on one side then on the other. (This force is more like the bike slithering or walking rather than moving straight forward. (You might not feel it scrubbing energy, but it is)

On harder surfaces or slower speeds the misaligned paddles will put a vertical clockwise/counterclockwise twist force on the swing arm instead of just an up and down action. (That can't be better)

Putting all the force of the motor into just one paddle at a time will cause the paddle blade to bend and distort more than if it was sharing the force with another paddle at the same time. (This would mean even though your using the same # of paddles, you would get less overall traction from misaligned tires.)

How well do you think a wheelchair will work if you push on each wheel seperately? :confused:

OK...your turn.

Why is it better to NOT take 5 minutes to align your paddles and instead debate it to the death with those who feel you should?

What mechanical advantages can you provide that will shed some light on your perspective?

great write up!

one little thing doesn't make much difference, but ten little things do! the guy that does all the little things will be faster and have a more realiable machine.

You are not going to have only one paddle in the sand unless you have like 4 paddles. If they are perfectly off, there might be one paddle in on one side, and 2 paddles slightly in on the other side. Now there was absolutely no science or experimentation in that previous statement, but my point being you arent going to be paddling on one side then the other. Maybe to a certain extent, but not just gripping on one side then the other.

Also, you are not necessarily set up for life after you align those paddles. My dads z400 spins the rims in the paddles all the time. The majority of the time they are perfectly off. The only thing we have noticed is its annoying on pavement. They are sand geckos though.

You are not going to have only one paddle in the sand unless you have like 4 paddles. If they are perfectly off, there might be one paddle in on one side, and 2 paddles slightly in on the other side. Now there was absolutely no science or experimentation in that previous statement, but my point being you arent going to be paddling on one side then the other. Maybe to a certain extent, but not just gripping on one side then the other.

Also, you are not necessarily set up for life after you align those paddles. My dads z400 spins the rims in the paddles all the time. The majority of the time they are perfectly off. The only thing we have noticed is its annoying on pavement. They are sand geckos though.

Sand geckos suck. All I did was spin them. I have bead locks so I don't worry about spinning in the tire. But he's right about scrubbing forces and load on one paddle at a time. Are you goin to feel it? Probably not. But every little thing helps.

Sand geckos suck. All I did was spin them. I have bead locks so I don't worry about spinning in the tire. But he's right about scrubbing forces and load on one paddle at a time. Are you goin to feel it? Probably not. But every little thing helps.

Yes they do suck.

Im not saying there are no forces, and I prefer to have my paddles aligned. But when my paddles are sitting on the ground, in between paddles, the tire is not sitting only on the space between the paddles, but also the 2 adjacent paddles. And thats on pavement, sand is a lot softer than pavement. You are never going to be pulling on one paddle on one tire and absolutely none on the other. Unless, like I said, you had very few paddles for the diameter of your tire.

Right now I am running 10 paddle extremes on a 20" tire. The carcass of the tire hardly even touches pavement, so you are definitely not going to be pulling on one paddle at a time on those.

But anyways, this is just nitpicking. I prefer to have my paddles aligned, it rides smoother on pavement and it looks better.