rear brake setup for drag bike

BuckeyeShee21

Just wondering what some of you guys like for aftermarket rotor/pads for sand drag bikes. Right now I'm runnin a stock rotor and having some trouble getting her slowed down. No front brakes of course. Wondering if slotted rotor would help, or maybe better pads. Also my rotor hub splines are shot. Was thinking of getting a billet lonestar hub would last longer, and also if it would mesh ok with a blaster axle that I'm running for now. Thanks

Real simple.. Rear brakes are about 20% of your stopping power. Only running the rear is going to cause the caliper to work way harder than it should be. It will probably overheat, get hot and warp. I wouldn't be surprised if your brake fluid gets hotter than hell too.

These bikes are meant to have front brakes as well. I wouldn't rely on any rear brake set up to stop me like the fronts will.

Real simple.. Rear brakes are about 20% of your stopping power. Only running the rear is going to cause the caliper to work way harder than it should be. It will probably overheat, get hot and warp. I wouldn't be surprised if your brake fluid gets hotter than hell too.

These bikes are meant to have front brakes as well. I wouldn't rely on any rear brake set up to stop me like the fronts will.

I understand this, I'm just looking for the best brand based on others experience with different rotors...... who runs front brakes on a drag bike? And can I run a billet hub with a stock blaster axle?...... reducing more weight is great and all but that also reduces my wallet

3 broke ribs and road rash from Hell, front brakes were reinstalled. Yes, brake fluid brakes down at a certain temp. Not sure what temp cause I'm never doing that again.

3 broke ribs and road rash from Hell, front brakes were reinstalled. Yes, brake fluid brakes down at a certain temp. Not sure what temp cause I'm never doing that again.

Damn.....hope your healing fast bro..... I'm just worried because I'm racing a place that has terrible shut down in a couple weeks

Damn.....hope your healing fast bro..... I'm just worried because I'm racing a place that has terrible shut down in a couple weeks

Thanks man but that was about 10 years ago when I first got my bike and thought id make it light as possible. You just don't forget shit like that lol

Keep the front brakes and take a big crap before you race lol

I would recommend wildwood exp 600 plus Dot-4 fluid, Maxima racing brake fluid or the Motul Dot-5.1.

Dont use your generic wal-mart brake fluid.

Well regardless I need a new rear brake setup even if I put fronts on. Thanks for the advice. I know wildwood makes good shit and come to think of it I have cheap autozone dot 3 fluid in there.....and the carbs you sold me worked great on my trail bike....thanks.

i have ran EBC sinter'd and red style pads, stock caliper, bradied brake line and STOCK rear rotor and bike seems to stop fine..

o'reillys dot 3 fluid also...

if its taking a while to stop your either going well over 100 MPH OR your brake system has an issue or your locking the tires up and skidding.

most important thing that i haven't seen mentioned is that the calliper pins need to move freely, the alignment of the rotor to the caliper needs to be spot on, and EVERYTHING in the brake system needs to be 100%.. if the caliper is stuck on the mount and stopping crocked it cannot apply all its force to the rotor and you will have slow as hell stopping. if your slamming on the brakes and locking the rear tires up and skidding your not going to stop worth a shit and the bike will pitch side to side adn thats dangerous.