Oil Cooler?

i see absolutely no advantage, im not aware that they have a heat problem with trans oil to begin with. Ive only seen burnt oil come out when there is a problem. IE cooked clutch

I just figured with more capacity and a way to cool it down that may add life to the clutch and even help the engine its self run cooler but if its not going to make any difference its pointless.

I just figured with more capacity and a way to cool it down that may add life to the clutch and even help the engine its self run cooler but if its not going to make any difference its pointless.

Running a high quality synthetic gearbox oil would do more good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guys that have tranny problems are using too cheap of, or the wrong kind of oil in their trannys. I recomend Klotz Flex Drive 30 oil, been using it for 20 years in 7 different Banshees and 2 Blasters that I maintain and NONE of them have ever had a bearing, shift fork, gear, or clutch failure or a clutch ball weld itself!!!!!!!!!!!

I know theres no pump thats why i said how would you pump it?I figured some sort of electric pump but thinking it over its too much effort for little to no gains to convert it all over.

I have an off brand ebay 40% bigger radiator and i run amsoil full synthetic 10w30 in the gear box.

According to my trail tech i on average in 90+ temps run no higher than 185 on the trails and when cruising 165-175.

I should have gave it more thought.

Nah, it wasn't a bad idea, or a particularly hard one to accomplish. You could drill and tap a low send and high return fitting on your clutch cover, add reservoir, electric pump and inline coolers and you're there.

But as said, not really necessary - it was done on GP bikes, but they run WOT for long periods.

Btw, not sure your oil is the best idea - wet clutches don't get along well with synthetic motor oils, which is why there are bike-specific trans oils. If your clutch starts slipping, you might try klotz, bel-ray, even ATF.

Nah, it wasn't a bad idea, or a particularly hard one to accomplish. You could drill and tap a low send and high return fitting on your clutch cover, add reservoir, electric pump and inline coolers and you're there.

But as said, not really necessary - it was done on GP bikes, but they run WOT for long periods.

Btw, not sure your oil is the best idea - wet clutches don't get along well with synthetic motor oils, which is why there are bike-specific trans oils. If your clutch starts slipping, you might try klotz, bel-ray, even ATF.

THe oils specific to motorcycles.

This is what i run http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcf.aspx

I have actually saw a pikes peak style bike that used a modified RZ350 cover with the oil injection pump modified to pull oil from the case circulate it through a small cooler and dump it right back on to the 8 plate clutch set up he had in there. It was really cool, but I wonder how much it really helped and I just couldn't see all the work and added weight being worth it.

Just find a good synthetic oil and change it often and you would be golden in my opinion.

• 2 years later...