Did Front hubs change at all?

Actually, the front hubs are different. They may interchange, they may not. The early hubs are a much thicker casting. The ears for the wheel studs are the same thickness out to the end. The later style tapers thinner out to the end.

The rotors and bolts are definitely different. The later style uses countersunk bolts. The early style does not.

• 1 year later...

I bought a set of hubs from one guy off CL and a set of spindles off another guy.  I tried mating the two together, and it seems like the hubs won't go on all the way.  I have a feeling the hubs are 87-90 and the spindles are 91-06.  Does anyone know if the two are interchangeable and will bolt up properly?

The later style hubs use countersunk rotor bolts to clear the spindle. So, ya, if you try to run early hubs on late spindles, the rotor bolts will hit. Also, you must use calipers that match the style.

Here are the early and late parts. Early is on the right in all pics. Notice how the late (red) hub tapers thinner at the ends of the ears. This is just a cosmetic difference, but an easy way to tell early from late. Also, it's actually, 87-89 and 90-06. 90 was a J arm bike with late style front brakes.

DSC00172.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00173.jpg

Thank you for the pictures!  I definitely have late model hubs.  The spindles are late as well because the calipers i have for them are the late style, according to the pictures i've seen.  I can't seem to get them to go down all the way though... The spindle shaft doesn't look bent.  Also, is there some kind of spacer that should go on the front side behind the castle nut and washer?sh1.jpgsh2.jpgsh3.jpg

I see what you are talking about on the front part by where the castle nut should be... Yes, there is a spacer and washer I am missing but If you look at the area between the back of the spindle and the hub assembly, it doesn't look like they're down all the way.  the rubber oil seal isn't seated against the spindle.  It looks like it should go down a bit more... maybe a 1/2"?

it is a pain in the butt.  This is why I countersink all of my rotors and supply stainless flat head hardware to take guess work out of what hub you may have.  Sorry my post doesn't apply but I have battled with this issue in the past.

I for sure have late versions of hubs and spindles... I just can't figure out why it seems like they're not going on all the way.  I see a gap between the oil rear oil seal and where it should come in contact with the spindle.  The spindle shaft doesn't look bent.  I tried swapping either hub with either spindle and it seems to have the same issue.

The spacer between the bearings is binding on the spindle. Pull the bearing out of the hub and clean the corrosion off the inside of the spacer and also the spindle. Give it a coat of anti-sieze and put it back together, you may need to tap the hub on with a hammer, preferably a plastic dead blow. Put the outer spacer and nut on, torque to spec, spin the hub and retorque and you should be good AFTER you put the cotter or keeper pin in.