Tranny Oil Flowing Out Of Rear Of Crankcase Like A Faucet! Newly Rebuilt & Ported.

A few years ago I had my engine bored and ported by a well known engine builder here. While this was performed, I had this engine builder strengthen up the bottom end to handle the additional power as well has having him install a new clutch. For the first time after a few years of sitting I finally installed it recently and just today filled the crankcase with 1 quart of oil. I stopped at 1 quart of oil because I noticed a leak on the floor, but that leak ended up being from the coolant I just filled at the radiator. So looking for the source of the coolant leak, I stood the quad up on the rear grab-bar to see the underside and like a FAUCET, out comes all of my fresh tranny oil out from the rear center top area of my crankcase right near the swing-arm. It flowed out one quart of oil in less than a minute like a faucet!!

Does anyone have any idea what if any is the typical cause of oil flowing out from this location of the crankcase? I am hoping that I do not have to split the case or anything like that. But there is definitely a problem because it flowing out literally like a faucet from the rear center, top (near a clamp of some sort) of the crankcase. This quad is testing my patience for sure. Any help would be SO VERY APPRECIATED!!!

Edited by bansh_88

There is a crank case breather on the back of the motor by the swingarm. And the coolant is probably just from the overflow if you deleted the over flow bottle.

There is a crank case breather on the back of the motor by the swingarm. And the coolant is probably just from the overflow if you deleted the over flow bottle.

Hmm, never heard about a breather back there, thanks. So what does it mean when this crankcase breather starts flowing oil out like a faucet? What must I spend money on next??

Thanks.

Edited by bansh_88

Your a lost cause

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I am beginning to think the same lately LOL. Got through everything else from the frame up though. Still very new to 2 stoke engines and trannys. Been spoiled by owning 4-strokes all my life I guess. You know, fill up with gas, change oil, clean air filter and good to go for years. Banshees are a different story, at least in my case... SIGH.

Edited by bansh_88

Now I feel pretty stupid... I just began looking at the manual now and I see that there are multiple vent lines connected to a "T" connector that appears to be required back there. :flush: I dont have these vent lines attached and am now guessing that the absence of these vent lines is probably why I am leaking oil out when the quad is up on the rear grab-bar, right?

So installing these vent lines back there should solve this issue, right?

(I really gotta stop getting only 4 hours of sleep to work on this quad... banghead )

Edited by bansh_88

Now I feel pretty stupid... I just began looking at the manual now and I see that there are multiple vent lines connected to a "T" connector that appears to be required back there. :flush: I dont have these vent lines attached and am now guessing that the absence of these vent lines is probably why I am leaking oil out when the quad is up on the rear grab-bar, right?

So installing these vent lines back there should solve this issue, right?

(I really gotta stop getting only 4 hours of sleep to work on this quad... banghead )

Yes, but you can do away with the front vent and the tee. You have to pull the clutch cover off to use this part though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Banshee-Clutch-Cover-Vent-Block-off-Plate-/110747369144?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c90ebeb8&vxp=mtr

• 1 month later...

Mine is doing the exact same thing all of the sudden. Oil Pours out of the rear tube like a faucet. There is a front tube, but it doesn't connect to anything. I dont have too much oil in there I dont think. What causes that back tube to leak so much oil?

If you stand em up they will leak like crazy. I just had mine in the back of my truck friday standing up at about a 40degree angle and it puked a half a quart or more. Prefectly normal.

It seems like that is the first time I can remember that happening (is when I stood it up).. but I haven't stood it up since, and it is still leaking like crazy.