Cast 421cub

I use to run a stock stroke HJR dune ported stock cylinder engine that was a really hard runner. I always wanted to make it accellerate faster & just about maxed it out. As everybody should know by now I blew the engine two times in less than a year. Long story, so I was convinced to get a 421 cub if I wanted more accelleration & I could later on down the road port it for more accelleration. So I jumped on the 421 cub & used the previous bolt-ons that I already had because I was told by a few site sponsors that my bolt-ons work well with the 421cub. My current set-up is in my sig. & I do agree that my 421 cub pulls alot harder than my ss dune ported cylinders but it's not exactly pulling hard enough for me. Im trying to get as much bottomend accelleration out of the cylinders as cast before getting it ported. I love the mid to top side but it's the 1st-3rd gear that gets me. I am making this thread to get opinions on what i could do to help my accelleration from 1st-3rd. I want that arm snatching hit from the start. Now it could be that im missing the power cause when my tires just spin from take off & when I switch to second it hooks then. What are some of you guys opinions on how you would set up a cast 421cub to run on 100LL? Even the guys that dont like 100LL how would you set it up on 110 race gas? Thanks in advance Reek

Edited by 252wheelieking

Not trying to piss in your pool, but maybe a Dune/Play Ported 421 Serval would have better suited your power goals with your bolt-ons.

Last sentence of this page. http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=403

The Shearer Pipes aren't helping the lack of bottom-end either.

I'm in for this discussion though...

Not trying to piss in your pool, but maybe a Dune/Play Ported 421 Serval would have better suited your power goals with your bolt-ons.

Last sentence of this page. http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=403

The Shearer Pipes aren't helping the lack of bottom-end either.

I'm for this discussion though...

I see where your coming from far as low end usuable power but that's not what im looking for. I like my cub & was just asking for opinions on what could I do to my cub to make it accellerate more from bottom to top before I get it ported. If I get a serval that would be pissing in the wind cause they have lower port timing. The Shearers could be hurting my bottom end some on the cub, but when I ran them on my HJR ss stroke dune port. I didnt feel any difference in bottomend loss from my T-5's....

Sounds like your looking for that 4 stroke bottom end kind of pull.

No not really I just want to make my cub accellerate faster than what it doing now.

Edited by 252wheelieking

Whats ur gearing and paddles?. U need more paddle and a 16 front sproket. It will fly out the hole

My gearing is 16 & 41.... I have worn out dirt tires & they spin on asphalt...

gear it to launch in second and add tire if needed. wait... launching in 1st you have a overirde?

No I dont have an override

my experience with the cub cylinders, they like lots of fuel.

39pwks, +7 timing, race gas and let her eat. :bolt:

get tired of that, convert over to methanol. that stuff is way more awesome than race fuel. :)

How much compression should I run with +7 timing & 39pwks? Im looking to get a set of 39's or 35's really soon. What the difference in performance going with the 39's over the 35's? Remember this is a cast 421

I spoke to a site sponsor today & he recommended I get my traction under control first. It does make sense cause all im doing is blowing the tires off. I am difinitely in need of some new tires. Hopefully this will solve my bottomend problem. I will be buying three set's of tires soon, so what's the best tires to get for hooking on dirt, sand & asphalt? Thanks for the reply's