Clutch problems.....just takes off

I really dont know but maybe R1 clutch plates are a little different material that acceps friction modifiers? Like I said I dont know for sure but i was just thinking that since the bashee clutch is so much older than an R1. R1 came out in like 2000 right? and the banshee in 1987, just a thought. All I know is that i was told many times that synthetic is a NO NO. But hey if it works it works. 1 question though, are you changing it at the same interval as using reg oil? If so whats the point of using synthetic? i know it doesnt break down as fast but if you are changing it regularly............ :confused:

the first real "r1" was in 1998. a carburated beast in its day! they even kept the carbs on untill the 02 model when it became fuel injected. the r1 had tons of low and mid range pull with a pretty decent top end in 98-03 models. in 04 they swapped it....most of its power was in the mid to top rpms. just some fun facts :headbang: i always used the best syntheti ams oil in my r1's that i have now and the ones i sold over the years. haha i have had quite a few. not really sure about whats what on the oil though. i would think a oil for wet clutch would be fine regardless. not 100% sure just throwing ideas in the air

Edited by bluebanshee98

Oh man, thats a big NO NO!! you cant use synthetic on these things man. Sythetic oils have friction modifiers wich is bad for clutches, it wont grab as good as regular oil causing it to wear prematurely. I would give it a few oil flushes with 10w 40 REGULAR or some people like ATF type F. But yea this is most likely your issue. Hopefully your clutch isnt smoked. How long have you been doing this?

Synthetics are fine... and only oils 10w-30 and down have fiction modifiers. 10w-40 and up dont

Synthetic oils are not bad for the clutches, I wouldn't add anything like slick 50 though. The reason why you're having this problem when you first start up and put it in gear is because the clutches are dryig out or sticking. After you ride it around for a bit, pull the clutch in and get oil in between the plates it starts operating normal again. I've only seen it happen on clutches that are old.