421 cub jetting (pilot)

Hi guys.

I am wondering on pilot size with porting. Is it common to go up in pilot size when you get a aggressive dune/drag port on a cub cylinder. Whats the best way to determine the pilot jet? how may turns is to much or not enough? My current setup is a 4mill 421, 35pwk, 52 pilot, 155 main and I think the needle is 3 clip and I am running + 4 timing I am at sea level on the Oregon coast running HJR porting :headbang:

Hi guys.

I am wondering on pilot size with porting. Is it common to go up in pilot size when you get a aggressive dune/drag port on a cub cylinder. Whats the best way to determine the pilot jet? how may turns is to much or not enough? My current setup is a 4mill 421, 35pwk, 52 pilot, 155 main and I think the needle is 3 clip and I am running + 4 timing I am at sea level on the Oregon coast running HJR porting :headbang:

Come on guys help him out here....I'm interested in the answers to this..... :cheers:

Hi guys.

Your main sounds small. Might want to up it if you are running long distances or in real deep sand.

I have the same pilot as you, i think 1.5 turns out on the air screws. Mine is a little rich though.

Sync your carbs and set your idle and you can fine tune your airscrews from there.

I would say you get to 3/4 ~ 1/2 turn out, go to the next size up.

Past 2.5 turns out, go the next size down.

• 2 weeks later...

Your main sounds small. Might want to up it if you are running long distances or in real deep sand.

I have the same pilot as you, i think 1.5 turns out on the air screws. Mine is a little rich though.

Sync your carbs and set your idle and you can fine tune your airscrews from there.

I would say you get to 3/4 ~ 1/2 turn out, go to the next size up.

Past 2.5 turns out, go the next size down.

what size mains do you run?

Im at a 50 pilot, 160 main, non ported 421 cub. it may be tad rich, on the oregon coast. ever come to coosbay? pics of your bike so i know when i see it?

Im at a 50 pilot, 160 main, non ported 421 cub. it may be tad rich, on the oregon coast. ever come to coosbay? pics of your bike so i know when i see it?

I come to the coast all the time. I usually ride my CRF 450. When I get tired of the that I head to the steep tree shots or Idiot holes right next to the water. This is what my banshee currently looks like. Soon to have white plastic with some paint.

post-40374-0-85365700-1336005380_thumb.jpg