Sold my 450R! Its back in the Garage today

ticktock

Hey all,

I sold my 450R on Thursday. I sold it to another guy in the Navy and he picked it up, I gave him the title, and other things I had. Cleaned it up a little more for him since he seemed like a nice guy. We talked and he went riding and loved it. He was hooked! He took it riding on to a park about 40 miles away and rode it all day. He calls me up at the end of the day and says that he has bad news! I asked what he was talking about and he said that the kick starter does not work. He said that it left him stranded in an area but he was able to load it up. So he brought it to my house. I looked it over and determined in a few minutes that the motor was seized.

Gears in my head start turning - Timing chain break? clutch blow up? whats wrong with this. So I drain the oil, Brass particles, WTF, that was a new Hot Rods Crank! 225 bucks! So I pulled the tank started looking it over pulled the valve cover and saw the timing chain was good. At this point I asked him what he wanted to do, I was waiting for the "you fucked me over I want my money back" line but it never came. He said that he would like for his ATV to run, and he would like to get it fixed. I asked him if he wanted me to fix it and he said yes.

I got him involved and we pulled the motor, put it on the bench and started taking it apart. Piston = Garbage, Cylinder = Garbage, Crankshaft = Garbage. When we got it down to the base I told him this is as far as we go until we get gaskets. I do not like taking them apart and having them sit around on the bench. So we stopped.

Today I went and cleaned the outside of the motor, flushed everything to get as much brass out as possible and basically do a good clean-up of the motor.

I installed a HR crank, New OEM piston, Cylinder, Stage II Web Cam, Timing Chain (Cheap-0, not the weisco) rejetted, and rode this bike for about 10 - 15 hours tops. Everything went smooth until I ruined the axle bearings. In less than 30 hours of time he destroyed all of my hard work. The cylinder is scored, I am taking it to a guy to have it looked at, providing the scores and not bad it can be fixed without replating I was told.

I worked hard on this motor and bike to get it in excellent condition, then I rode it and did not like it, so I sold it. The guy told me that he has really bad luck in life. He told me some stories of his Jetski blowing up on him after a rebuild, and a bunch of warranty work that had to be preformed. Either the guy is a mess, or he beats the living shit out of everything he owns and accepts the fate.

Adam

SAM_0181.jpg

SAM_0183.jpg

SAM_0182.jpg

SAM_0184.jpg

All 4 corners of the piston and cylinder look like this. To me this looks like a classic cold seize in a 2 stroke

SAM_0185.jpg

SAM_0186.jpg

In one of the pics it shows the piston cooling jet. See if its plugged. In the large diesels they run those and when you see four point scoring its from a overheated piston caused by a plugged jet. The brass probably plugged it up. Not being a four stroke guy did there used to be washers on the crack for the rod??or have you figured out where it came from?

In one of the pics it shows the piston cooling jet. See if its plugged. In the large diesels they run those and when you see four point scoring its from a overheated piston caused by a plugged jet. The brass probably plugged it up. Not being a four stroke guy did there used to be washers on the crack for the rod??or have you figured out where it came from?

Yes there was thrust washers in the big end of the rod. I am sure that the oiler port is plugged at this point. I am waiting on the gasket for the cases before I pull the crank out. I hate having parts on the bench!

Adam

If it was something that I fucked up it would have happened a lot sooner than the 20ish hours that the bike was running. Everything was clean, serviceable, in specs and new. I am sure that he was beating the crap out of it, it was his first atv. I can't be sure what he did I was not there. I am throwing some money at some parts, giving him an OEM crank and fixing it for him. He is going to buy the piston. Hopefully Jim tells me the cylinder is good and it can be salvaged.

Adam

• 4 weeks later...

If it was something that I fucked up it would have happened a lot sooner than the 20ish hours that the bike was running. Everything was clean, serviceable, in specs and new. I am sure that he was beating the crap out of it, it was his first atv. I can't be sure what he did I was not there. I am throwing some money at some parts, giving him an OEM crank and fixing it for him. He is going to buy the piston. Hopefully Jim tells me the cylinder is good and it can be salvaged.

Adam

Hey Adam,

I just read this whole thread. Anymore to the story yet ?

Back in 1983 I bought Brand New at Clinton Cycles in Clinton Maryland a Suzuki 1983 GS850G. I didn't even have the Bike for a year yet and was taking meticulous care of it. I was getting it serviced at the selling Dealership at the required intervals. The fourth time I took it in for service I stayed with the bike seeing as it was to only take 1 hour and I had also rode the bike there. After about 2 hours of waiting I was starting to get impatient and walked outside to smoke a cig. I saw the service tech take my bike out of there parking lot and as soon as he got around the corner from line of site I heard him get on it and I mean get on it hard. He was revving the snot out of it. Anyway he brings it back (He didn't know me from your name) and another 15 or so minutes go by and they tell me my bikes done. I didn't say anything about the service tech racing my bike after he got around the corner, paid the bill, and left. I didn't get 1 mile away and knew something wasn't right with the motor. I could hear the mains knocking. That's when I turned around and went back to raise Hell. They tried to tell me that this was not the fault of there institution and that the mains must have been knocking from the time I brought it in. I said open my Service History on the Bike and tell me if most people follow maintenance intervals like I have. I told them about there Fucking Tech as soon as getting out of site raising the snot out of my bike. They tried to tell me this would never happen. Are You fucking retarded and think I'm making this Shit up I told him.

To make a long story short the Bike was still under warranty and I got a completely new motor that took over a month from that day until I finally was per SE done although I was never Happy with it again. But that was the last time I ever took a Bike or a car into a Dealership for there so called maintenance intervals because of all the lying and covering all there butts in that place. I see what it's all about the $$$ and the only one that is wrong is The Customer.

I would have never let someone take my Banshee for more than a in the site of view and hearing ride to see if he was Happy enough to buy my bike and once the exchange was made, NO Warranty especially on a Sport Quad because people will ride these things into the ground in no time if they don't know how to ride or it wasn't there blood sweat and tears to pay for it.

I'll share what I know about Adams follow up.

Adam replaced the entire crank assembly,top end including cam & cam tower. New seals , gaskets. Basically everything but the trans. Reassembled and also took the time to detail the bike before delivery. The new owner brought it back dirty as fuck. As always Adam went above and beyond to ensure the new buyer was happy with his purchase. :headbang:

Another stand up member here at BansheeHQ

I'll share what I know about Adams follow up.

Adam replaced the entire crank assembly,top end including cam & cam tower. New seals , gaskets. Basically everything but the trans. Reassembled and also took the time to detail the bike before delivery. The new owner brought it back dirty as fuck. As always Adam went above and beyond to ensure the new buyer was happy with his purchase. :headbang:

Another stand up member here at BansheeHQ

Thanks Troy,

So I took the motor down to nothing, Threw most of it away, I pulled out the cam, put in an excellent shape stocker, replaced center case, put OEM crank back in, replaced oil reed, seals, gaskets, and reassembled. I picked up the cylinder from a friend, did an acid wash and a touch up hone, and had the valves reshimmed. I cleaned the shit out of everything, with a citrus based cleaner that ate most of the dirt out of the pores in the motor, then I used AC cleaner over that and got about 95% of the shit outta the pores. Had the bike looking like new again, douched the plastics with the a new simple green shit and cleaned them up nice, then armoralled the plastics and cleaned with WD-40. Shit was bling bling when it left.

I couldnt be certain what happened with the motor, why did the crank let go? I did all the work for free, I threw him a set of gaskets and crank seals, he purchased the rest. It took a month to get everything back together because of the cylinder and ordering the piston, should have got it on ebay - Thanks a lot Troy!! I had to wait 10 days for him to purchase the case, he was waiting on payday - I offered to pay for it and then ended up doing it to get it out of my garage.

End of the story is Nick is happy as shit, it cost him 385 dollars, but could have easily been over 1k anywhere else. he is in the Navy, stationed next to me. So I threw him a bone and did everything I could to help the guy out. He was very nice and never once said I fucked him over or any of that shit. He has been riding the hell out of it for 3 weeks now and totally loves it. I also fixed his truck when he came to pick it up. He backed into someone and the tailgate was down and it bent the shit out of the brackets so I banged them 90% straight.

If you guys are ever in Va Beach and need a garage, bring the beer. I live on Barberry lane :D, Cant miss the big blue and white boat outfront and the black truck with the BansheeHQ sticker in the back window!!!

Adam

I meant to respond to this when Troy answered some of the questions for you Adam. You are one heck of a guy Adam just like Troy said you where. I'm glad you finally got the Bike out of your Garage and I know you are too. :)

PS, You package will be in the mail in the AM.

PS2, Thanks Troy for Answering a couple of questions until Adam could !