01 with issues

TWILES

I bought the bike Wednesday and tore into it last night. The carbs were full of trash and the K&N filter didn't look like it had ever been cleaned or oiled so it began. The carbs are now spotless. The filter is cleaned and the stock cage is now glued to the airbox with silicone and the throttle cables are dead even. So, no excuses.

Heres the deal. I bought the 2 into 1 filter and jet kit from Toomey on my last Banshee and remember the jetting and it ran great other than not idling. This one has 290 mains, purple needles, and 40 pilots. It idles great but thats about it. The pilot circuit is way rich, the needle picks up decent once the flooding from the pilot clears out and the main shuts down and pops. I'm lost on the main jet circuit. I had 280s in my last one and it was a hand-full. This seems like its really lean but should be getting about the same air as my old banshee. Could the taper on the needles be cutting down on the main jet flow? If so, where would a good place to start on main jet sizes? And, does anyone know who makes the purple needles?

Pro Circuit pipes

Stock ports

K&N in air box w/o lid

close to sea level. Like 500 above

Travis Wiles

Edited by TWILES

I bought the bike Wednesday and tore into it last night. The carbs were full of trash and the K&N filter didn't look like it had ever been cleaned or oiled so it began. The carbs are now spotless. The filter is cleaned and the stock cage is now glued to the airbox with silicone and the throttle cables are dead even. So, no excuses.

Heres the deal. I bought the 2 into 1 filter and jet kit from Toomey on my last Banshee and remember the jetting and it ran great other than not idling. This one has 290 mains, purple needles, and 40 pilots. It idles great but thats about it. The pilot circuit is way rich, the needle picks up decent once the flooding from the pilot clears out and the main shuts down and pops. I'm lost on the main jet circuit. I had 280s in my last one and it was a hand-full. This seems like its really lean but should be getting about the same air as my old banshee. Could the taper on the needles be cutting down on the main jet flow? If so, where would a good place to start on main jet sizes? And, does anyone know who makes the purple needles?

Pro Circuit pipes

Stock ports

K&N in air box w/o lid

close to sea level. Like 500 above

Travis Wiles

I would buy two new OEM Needle Set's for $8.00 each and two 27.5 Pilots and keep the 290 mains and go from there. It's amazing how everything effects everything in these carbs.

23 2GU-1490J-00-00 NEEDLE SET $7.97

Image2.gif

I would buy two new OEM Needle Set's for $8.00 each and two 27.5 Pilots and keep the 290 mains and go from there. It's amazing how everything effects everything in these carbs.

I'm thinking the same thing. I hoped someone would know something about the purple needles. The transition from circuit to circuit is so poor its impossible to keep in the power. I'm going to the local Yamaha shop today and if they have the pilot jets I need, I'll put them in and let her go. I'm getting a list together of little stock parts I need. I'll throw needles in there too.

One more question - Are the dynoport needles not worth what the kit costs? $80 or so is steep but if it runs right......

I'm thinking the same thing. I hoped someone would know something about the purple needles. The transition from circuit to circuit is so poor its impossible to keep in the power. I'm going to the local Yamaha shop today and if they have the pilot jets I need, I'll put them in and let her go. I'm getting a list together of little stock parts I need. I'll throw needles in there too.

One more question - Are the dynoport needles not worth what the kit costs? $80 or so is steep but if it runs right......

I'm really not sure about the dynoport needles. I've heard good things like they work great on snowmobiles but not so good on atv's. Come to think about it I don't remember a single post where someone liked them on an atv. Maybe someone else will chime in. But here is the problem that I have with even trying them at the stage of the game where you are at.

Your Bike is not currently running right. Fix it by using what you know has been proven to work like the stock needles, like the 27.5 pilots. If you throw those dynojets on there and your bike is no better you will not be a Happy camper, I know I wouldn't be.

Also once you get your needle assemblies I would put the clip in the second setting from the most rich. I know that is where my bike runs the best. Also it's alway's better to start rich and work toward leaner vs the other way around.

I'm really not sure about the dynoport needles. I've heard good things like they work great on snowmobiles but not so good on atv's. Come to think about it I don't remember a single post where someone liked them on an atv. Maybe someone else will chime in. But here is the problem that I have with even trying them at the stage of the game where you are at.

Your Bike is not currently running right. Fix it by using what you know has been proven to work like the stock needles, like the 27.5 pilots. If you throw those dynojets on there and your bike is no better you will not be a Happy camper, I know I wouldn't be.

Also once you get your needle assemblies I would put the clip in the second setting from the most rich. I know that is where my bike runs the best. Also it's alway's better to start rich and work toward leaner vs the other way around.

Will do. Went looking for pilots Saturday and no luck. I've got a list of stock parts I'm ordering. I'll put a couple needles in there too. Since we are on the same page now, what would a main jet size be with the stock needles? I guess you can still get the 5 packs of main jets. Just need to know where to start.

Travis

Will do. Went looking for pilots Saturday and no luck. I've got a list of stock parts I'm ordering. I'll put a couple needles in there too. Since we are on the same page now, what would a main jet size be with the stock needles? I guess you can still get the 5 packs of main jets. Just need to know where to start.

Travis

If your going to get your pilot jets from vito's then you might as well get your main jet's from them too.

If I where you I'd get from 260 - 310 or 270 - 320.