Another NewB from Canada

Hello, new to the forum with my first banshee. Stock '05 with some FMF golds pipes and fullbore plastic, love it. I drove about two or three hous on it and now has a coolant leak coming through the vent side hose on the overflow tank. I did some reading and found that it was more than likely my head gasket. Sure enough, there was coolant in both cylinders but the right cylinder was really bad (wet with coolant).

After looking at the cylinders, head and pistons I can tell there is more "play" in the right piston when I push back and forth (not up and down). If I was going to compare the two, I'd say there is about twice as much movement in the right cylinder than the left. I hope that makes sence.

Is this a sign for a rebuild? I beleive it still has the stock pistons and don't have any background on the quad. Sorry for the newbie Q's.

http://s1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg559/RozcoCanada/?action=view&current=IMG_0314.jpg#!oZZ8QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1243.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg559%2FRozcoCanada%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DIMG_0305.jpg

http://s1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg559/RozcoCanada/?action=view&current=IMG_0314.jpg#!oZZ6QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1243.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg559%2FRozcoCanada%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DIMG_0310.jpg

http://s1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg559/RozcoCanada/?action=view&current=IMG_0314.jpg#!oZZ4QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1243.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg559%2FRozcoCanada%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DIMG_0312.jpg

Throw it back together and keep it that way till the end of your first season. After that you will have a good idea on how you want to go about your rebuild. SAVE YOUR MONEY! Your going to be spending a crap ton on mods cause Modding these things are like crack. Oh and another thing... stay away from a Guy on here that goes by ride. Race. Live. He is always trying to hook up with dudes on here.

Throw it back together and keep it that way till the end of your first season. After that you will have a good idea on how you want to go about your rebuild. SAVE YOUR MONEY! Your going to be spending a crap ton on mods cause Modding these things are like crack. Oh and another thing... stay away from a Guy on here that goes by ride. Race. Live. He is always trying to hook up with dudes on here.

Thanks for the heads up....... No I mean down..... :rotflmao: (man please tell me you are joking)

I'll clean up the pistons, throw it back together with a new gasket and do a compression test. What do you guys use to clean up the pistons? I was thinking on using a scotch brite pad... good or bad.

I'm currently waiting on the Clymers manual to show

Oh I have few ideas for my next mods, TORS Elimination Kit, Cool Head or Noss Head, maybe do a 4mil stroker. Like I said this is my first Shee and don't know a bunch about them. I'll just keep on reading.......

I figured that I would do a compression test and it turns out that the right cylinder has 100psi and the left is 125psi, but starts on second kick everytime, even while cold. That right side has me worried a bit, is it time to crack out the wallet and do a top end rebuild?

Found a place up here that can do each cylinder for $35 and is less than a block away... :cheers:

I just went 4 mil with a dune port from hjr. +4 on timing and ill tell you what... Once that band kicks in its amazing how hard it pulls. My sprocket set up is -1 in front . Going from 100% stock machine to pipes, air filter, rejetted and lid off air box made a great difference. but then going 4 mil with the port job was a huge jump. 3rd gear power wheelies are effortlessly done. Ha I think a longer swingarm :) If you take the 4 mil jump you won't be disappointed

• 2 months later...

Well, over the weekend I done in the motor. Just took head and jugs and it isn't pretty. Looks like the rod bearings are done too. So I was thinking on going with the 4mm stroker. I have done some looking and was thinking on using the hotrod crank/rods with the wiseco pistons - My link

Is this a good kit, or should I go with something different? I don't want to spend more than $800 if I can, or maybe its better to do a stock stroke rebuild? I mostly trail ride and don't need a top end screaming motor.

Also now I have the jugs off I took one carb apart and found that they were fitted with 250 mains and 32.5 pilots and my elevation here is around 2500ft, I thinking that thats what did my motor in and was to lean running high rpm. Going to try 280-290 mains and 27.5-30.0 pilots.

If someone can help me out with a top and bottom rebuild that will last and doesn't cost me a arm and a leg, I'm all ears

Herr jugs racing can set you up with a bolt on 4 mil kit for $670 with no porting.

Don't just buy a crank and pistons from eBay. Get in touch with a builder and they can steer you in the right direction.

If going 4mil I'd recommend doing some port work as well which will really wake the motor up.

Get in touch with Jeff at F.A.S.T. or Kevin at Herr Jugs.

Thanks strokes77, I'm not a big fan on Ebay parts, and like to support people (and this site) that make a good product, so Herr Jugs it is. As far as porting its going to get out of my price range... for this rebuilt. Maybe next time I'll do the port job.

Should I get aftermarket reeds for the 4mm right away, or can I get away with stock? I plan on later on getting different reeds/cages later down the road

Welcome to the Forum!!

If your crank is still good you could turn that around on ebay and easily get 150$ for it. I currently have a stocker on ebay and there are 15 watchers on it. There is 1 bid, but I think the price is going to jump in the last day. I sold a different stock crank for 150 the second day it was up. So there is some market for stock cranks.

Sorry to hear your bad luck, wish the best for you!

Also talk with Kevin about your jetting, your pilot should be around 27.5 but 30 is rich.

Adam