First rebuild almost done...oil?

Chip M

96 banshee is back together. I am thinking of going with the ATF with no friction modifiers in the clutch sidecase. I am ready to put it in when I thought, the only oil that went in the crankcase after I split and put back together was the small amount in the delivery holes to lube the crankcase bearings and what I coated all the gears and shafts with as per manual. I can find nothing on putting any amount to speak of in the gearbox. This is normal on a 2 stroke? Please tell me I did not miss a step. Thanks for all your help guys, you have been great.

96 banshee is back together. I am thinking of going with the ATF with no friction modifiers in the clutch sidecase. I am ready to put it in when I thought, the only oil that went in the crankcase after I split and put back together was the small amount in the delivery holes to lube the crankcase bearings and what I coated all the gears and shafts with as per manual. I can find nothing on putting any amount to speak of in the gearbox. This is normal on a 2 stroke? Please tell me I did not miss a step. Thanks for all your help guys, you have been great.

I'm pretty sure it takes 1 1/2 quarts.

It will be in the Fluids and capacity section of the Clymers Manual.

If you have a stock case covers it says the amount right by the fill hole (I think 1500 or 1900ml). There's only one chamber for oil in the banshee ( crank and gears share one) unlike some sport quads and dirt bikes. Do a quick search and you'll find a lot of opinions on oil preference. Hope that helps

Edited by amstall

Thanks guys. I think I am on the right track and can just continue with the correct amount of oil in the clutch cover case. I guess what was throwing me was the fact that I sealed up the tranny when I put the cases back together with no fluid to speak of inside. I assume their is a way for the ATF to get from my clutch cover sidecase to the middle of the motor where the tranny gears are. Feeling really stuid here, you all have really helped me though my rebuild.

b

If you have a stock case covers it says the amount right by the fill hole (I think 1500 or 1900ml). There's only one chamber for oil in the banshee ( crank and gears share one) unlike some sport quads and dirt bikes. Do a quick search and you'll find a lot of opinions on oil preference. Hope that helps

the crank does not take oil. it is lubricated by the premix. :rolleyes:

It takes 1.5 qts. If you are not running a pancake bearing on the clutch pusher you might consider running 2 full quarts. i have for quite awhile now. Helps keep stuff oiled.

I ran atf for along time also. recently switched to the valvoline atv oil. its was cheaper :rotflmao:

The crank and gears are SEPERATED in different compartments on the banshee cases. The trans fluid only goes between the gears and the clutch pack. The crank is lubed via the 2stroke oil that is mixed in with your gas. That's one of the reasons you need to be very cautious about air leaks on these bikes.....because if they lean out then they can burn up the bearings on the crank.

The crank and gears are SEPERATED in different compartments on the banshee cases. The trans fluid only goes between the gears and the clutch pack. The crank is lubed via the 2stroke oil that is mixed in with your gas. That's one of the reasons you need to be very cautious about air leaks on these bikes.....because if they lean out then they can burn up the bearings on the crank.

$5 says it kills a piston first.

My bad. They are definitely separate, I was picturing my YFZ case