Please help? Need experienced banshee owner advise?

cline

Hey all banshee owners I’m new to this site and from what I’ve seen in the forums so far this looks like a dream come true. I have a million questions (it seems like anyways) and I know there are a great many of you on here that can provide me with the insight I hope to receive if you wish to respond. Currently I ride a 2001 banshee, pro design cool head 21cc domes, Toomey T-5’s, V force 2 reeds, 30 mm knock off Keihin carbs with dual stage uni foam filters, Ricky stator 200W with adjustable timing plate, +4 lonestar swingarm. As you can see all bolt on performance but I would like to take the jump into the motor and this is where I could use all of your expert knowledge. Last time I took it to a shop I think I was told it was putting 45 horsepower on the dyno but can’t remember for sure. I know there are a million possibilities with a banshee but this is what I would like to accomplish and maybe all of you will give me your opinions or facts. Really I’m not trying to build a missile just what I refer to as my stock set up isn’t fast at all anymore. I have ridden my buddies’ bikes; one is a 370 long rod with dual 35mm Keihin and the other a 7mil stroker with the stock mikuni carbs. Here’s the thing though they both seem to fill their gas tanks twice as much as me. Is it possible to get more power out of my bike without only being able to ride a couple miles from camp before I start worrying about running out of gas all the time like my friends? If it is possible what suggestions or information do you have? If it is not then I guess it is what it is so I would like to hear suggestions or ideas about where I could go from here. Also, using the existing bolt on parts that I already have what would be the necessary parts I would need and about (estimation) what horsepower would I get if I were to pursue a 370 long rod build, a 4 mil stroker build, or a 7 mil stroker build? Thanks to all and I would appreciate all info.

Welcome to BHQ!

The sky is the limit when it comes to building a faster more powerful bike (just depends on how much $$$$ you have to throw at it). The Serval Cub motors have had good reviews and are making pretty decent power.

What type of riding do you do? If was was going to build a motor right now, I would have Wildcard Racing build me a ported stock cylinder 4mil. Or if you are on a budget, send your cylinders off to a BHQ site sponsor and have them ported...best bang for your buck by far.

-Zach

Edited by 06specialedition

All of your bolts ons are good usable things so building a little more hp with what you have is not a real big deal. I would pull the cylinders off and send them off to a site sponsor andhave them ported. 45 with the stuff you have is a little low it should be closer to 55 but it all depends on the dyno also. A good stock cylinder stock stroke ported motor will make any where for 65 to 70hp so that would be a greta upgrade for you and is not going to change your fuel usage by a large amount. I personally use Redline racing and they do awesome work and have great customer service but any of the site sponsors will hook you up with some good port work. Welcome and enjoy the site. :cheers:

First off welcome to BHQ. Post up some pic of your ride for us to see.

My old set up was like yours & I too needed more HP. So I did what Builder told you to do. I pulled the cylinder & had HJR do dune/play port to them & she is runner now for me! It did not change my fuel usage much. Good luck & keep us updated on your build. :cheers:

WFO

Zach, WFO, and BUILDER thanks for your input so far I appreciate it. So to mabey help you guys a little more to maybe steer me closer to a possible solution the only place my banshee touches the ground these days is the Imperial sand dunes in Glamis CA. Lets say I was able to throw $1500 to a rebuild and upgrade. All three of you suggest porting.....Is this the term I always here riders speak of when they say, "my motor is ported and polished?" I only ask because all three of you mention porting but none said polish? Ball park what that would run me to give me an idea where I stand on being able to replace other parts. When I commit to doing this I want to do it right the first time. Since my shee is an 01 what else should I replace to assist in the rebuild/upgrade? I guess not for more horsepower, but to increase the reliability of the new motor (crank, flywheel, clutch basket, water pump rebuild, pistons).....does this make sense or am I crazy? Thanks guys for the welcome and the help.

-Shon

Welcome to BHQ!!

Currently you set up is good. If you were going to throw 1500 at your banshee, I recommend going ported with everyone else. Lots of classy sponsors here so do not be afraid to ask them. You can run stock carbs for your build and you have a cool head already.

4mil crank - $425ish

Porting stock cylinders - $350

New seals, gaskets - $45ish?

4 mil cut domes - $80-90

Pistons - $200ish

Thats a quick estimate.

Keep watching the forsale areas lots of great parts come through here, just have to watch for good deals. Try and stay away from eBay buying parts there are some real tools on there

Adam

I have a 421 serval and I have no complaints!!! It has lots of low and mid power and still has a good amount up top. If I had it to do over again I would do the same thing... I'm running it with rocket pipes and 35pwk carbs. As far as fuel goes, it dosnt last as long as stock but I can still get plenty of ride time on 1 tank