Water Pump Rebuild Question

Flyin_Shee

What is all needed when doing a water pump rebuild? I've noticed several different kits include different amounts of seals/gaskets. Also, the only kit I've found that includes the bearing only includes the water pump gasket and oil seal. Would this be sufficient?

What is all needed when doing a water pump rebuild? I've noticed several different kits include different amounts of seals/gaskets. Also, the only kit I've found that includes the bearing only includes the water pump gasket and oil seal. Would this be sufficient?

I just did this last night to my Banshee. I went from the stock platic oem impeller to a High flow billet impeller. I replaced the nylon gear, the seal, the bearing, and the impeller.

It states in the Clymer's manual if you are going to replace the seal to replace the bearing at the same time.

Prices I paid per item Impeller $70.00, Seal $14.90, Bearing $12.29, Nylon gear $9.09, Everything Grand Total $116.23

1 F.A.S.T. Billet High Flow IMPELLER SHAFT ASSY $79.95

2 93306-30003-00 BEARING (B6300Z) $12.29

3 93103-10168-00 OIL SEAL $14.90

4 4L0-12459-00-00 GEAR, IMPELLER SHAFT $9.09

Edited by Poolman

Mike is right about replacing the gasket. Sorry I forgot about that. I think that was like $4.00

Just saying Clymer's manual states if your replacing the seal to replace the bearing. Of course everything is your call. I wanted the added insurance. :headbang:

Edited by Poolman

lol, and mine came off unscathed. I just ran a quick thin bead of blue rtv on the case and reinstalled the old gasket but I did buy a gasket just in case. So now I have a spare water pump gasket.

I would also upgrade to the billet water pump gear from Mull http://mullengineering.com/. Just my 2ct

X2. I run the billet gear and its well worth it. Mull makes some quality stuff! I've seen the stock plastic gears melt and or break.

I'll be ordering the impeller and gear from Mull. Thanks guys. Going to stop by the dealer today and see if they have the bearing in stock so I can order everything else off eBay.

• 1 month later...

Just opened mine up since I wasn't getting any fluid movement in the radiator so I knew something was wrong with the water pump, and of coarse the water pump gear was broken into pieces. I was lucky cause I was about to go out for a ride to break my new top end in but thought I'd check to make sure the coolant was flowing. I will be ordering a billet gear from mull....

• 1 month later...

Just opened mine up since I wasn't getting any fluid movement in the radiator so I knew something was wrong with the water pump, and of coarse the water pump gear was broken into pieces. I was lucky cause I was about to go out for a ride to break my new top end in but thought I'd check to make sure the coolant was flowing. I will be ordering a billet gear from mull....

Dumb ?, how can you tell if you have fluid movement in the radiator. (assuming you don't have clear hoses)

Dumb ?, how can you tell if you have fluid movement in the radiator. (assuming you don't have clear hoses)

cylinders and sometimes the top of the radiator will get hot but the bottom of the radiator will never warm up.

I personally see no need for anything other than a new stock impeller. the gear is iffy. Ive never had a problem but some have. If the bike is over heating you need to look at your setup, jetting or riding style.

cylinders and sometimes the top of the radiator will get hot but the bottom of the radiator will never warm up.

I personally see no need for anything other than a new stock impeller. the gear is iffy. Ive never had a problem but some have. If the bike is over heating you need to look at your setup, jetting or riding style.

I've been having a over-heating problem. Yesterday i put the Chariot Ultra Flow Kit, ASI over-sized radiator, ASI silicone hoses, and Engine Ice. I haven't taken it out yet to know. I would think i crossed all the bridges. But ???