First Build

m_hatcher

So im posting to ask a few direct questions. Most of my questions have been asked but it seems because there are so many different opinions, I cant seem to find direct answers. I am starting a new build, not my first build but it is my first banshee and 2 stroke build. I am starting with the engine and then i'll pick up a roller and go from there. This bike will only be the trail/fire road bike. With that being said it seems that the build most people go with the 4mil, cool head and ported cylinders. I have been trolling the forums and have noticed a bunch of different things that I should do. Shift star mod, pancake bearing, portmatch the cases to the cylinders, are the immediate ones that come to mind at the moment. Now my questions are, when I pick up a +4 crank from HJR, will I need to do anything specific to the cases? I know a few people have mentioned the rods hitting. I have seen people prefer the 115 rod because of reduced side load, but will I see a difference between the two? I am working on the just the bottom end at the moment but just need to make sure that what I drop in it will work with what I want to do on the topend. On the top I would like to go stock bore ported with coolhead and stock carbs. Thanks in advance for any guidance

Ok,so i will assume that trenching for a +4 crank is not normal and the one I think we are both referring to is just a freak case. Ok now like I said I plan on doing the shift star mod, pancake bearing and port matching the case for the cylinders. Is their anything else that I should be doing on the bottom end that I may have not seen yet? Also since I am building this from some used parts like the cases, what is the best way to blast the cases? I think I read that sand-blasting is very bad but bead-blasting will make it nice and shiny. Correct me if that it wrong.

I would do 4mil crank, port matching, shift star or shift shaft mod. Cool head with domes for elevation. Air box with K&N power lid + K&N Filter. You are going to trail ride in wet areas in WV so pod filters will not be a good idea. Vforce 3 reeds.

What type of pipes will you run?

You can sandblast the cases. I personally would only do the outside. put the cases together and blast away. Stay away from the crank bearing areas, and clean the cases until you are sick of cleaning them then clean some more to get the sand out. Its fine sand and will hurt the motor. There is a manual download at the bottom of my post or its located in the tech info section

Adam

I am leaning toward fmf pipes and silencers,either sst or fattys. So basically I can put the case together and tape off all the holes and then have at it with soda or walnut. I have never heard of walnut and im not sure if my guy has either. Ill need to do some research on that.