Piston to head clearance

D_illmam

Hi guys and gals

I have a 2002 Banshee that has been rebuil. The bottom end is from a total different banshee that was bought from a wrecker but the jugs and top end are the original.

I am having problems with piston to head Clearence. I have tried three different pistons but the only way I can make it clear is to have 3 head gaskets in.

The original head is not milled or shaved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Like 1

what piston to head clearance are you coming up with? and how are you measuring it

It has actually blew up twice, as soon as it warms up.

I will ask the guy how he is measuring it. I am thinking it may have something to do with mix matching bottem and top ends from different years?

It was a barn find and I can get it at a excellent deal just trying to figure this problem out.

someone would have had to put the 4mil crank in if it has one. didn't come stock like that. only other way would be if you was not running a base gasket. check the stroke from top to bottom. find out if it's 54mm, or 58mm stroke. if it has a 4mil crank you wont be able to run stock jugs (well you will, just have less power than stock lol) and you will need a aftermarket head with 4mil domes.

If it's in reasonable condition otherwise and has some aftermarket things it might be an ok buy. I would try to talk him down, unless owner is a friend I'd lay a line of shit, some of which may be true. One other thought I had is it may have short rod pistons on long rods. Either way you will probably have to buy something after you figure it out. :cheers:

youd buy a running one for that. offer him 500$

even if it has no base gasket, which we will say is .020" and a stock head with stock stroke with squish at around .035 (at a tightest) you still have .015" of clearance with out a base gasket.

need to know how far out those pistons protrude through the bore.