Saint Anthony Memorial Weekend 2012

mr super cub

We're thinking of making a trip from Portland to Saint Anthony for memorial weekend 2012. We've never been and are wondering if that's a good weekend to go. Also, where's the best place to stay with a 5th wheel? Elgin lake looks like it's the closest to all the fun. Is that where all the action goes down? Two of our bikes are on alcohol so we want to make sure we're not riding too far to get the dunes. Thanks for the input.

We're thinking of making a trip from Portland to Saint Anthony for memorial weekend 2012. We've never been and are wondering if that's a good weekend to go. Also, where's the best place to stay with a 5th wheel? Elgin lake looks like it's the closest to all the fun. Is that where all the action goes down? Two of our bikes are on alcohol so we want to make sure we're not riding too far to get the dunes. Thanks for the input.

Hi Mr. super cub, Memorial weekend is a great weekend to come if you are looking for action at the hill, however, weather can still be unpredictable at that time. If you want to be close to the action, and run on alky then you definitely need to stay at egin lake campground. All of the racing action in the evening is at Crapo (thunder prior to the accident), which is just a short ride from the campground. In the day time, most of the action is at choke cherry, which is at the far west end of the dunes and is about 4-6 miles from the campground. Most alky bikes don't make it there unless they trailer to the cattle guard which is about 1 mile from choke.

All of the usual suspects should be there, so bring your fastest stuff! I live 15 minutes from the dunes, and spend to much time out there. Let me know if you have anymore questions.l

St A's is an amazing place. Been ridding there sense 98, Son of sand is right on all accounts. How ever, Memorial weekend is still to early in my oppinion. Been there many times on that weekend and have been rained out and snowed on. If its your first trip I would wait till later on in the year. If your looking for a big week end with lots of people, I would go on the 4th of July. Of course rain, cold, or snow, your still at the dunes so life is good.

• 3 months later...

Agreed, closest to the action is Egin Lakes campground, Will be about 20 of us on Memorial Day weekend, should have at least 5 or 6 Shee's out there, probably more sense I don't even know ALL of the people that will be there, "friends of friends" and shit, should be a blast! Dunes98 is right though, Memorial is a flip of the coin if the weather will be decent, and even then, sometimes you get half of a day thats great, then get snowed on....EH, it's the DUNES! And the first trip usually, so it's fun no matter what. Snow brings out the alcohol and food!

I have only been one time but I can tell you that if you enjoy dune riding you will have a blast. We went for the first time 2 years ago and it is so much different than the dunes here in oregon. If you stay at Elgin you will not make it to choke cherry and back if you are on Alky I can promise you that. My 4mill cub on gas could make it out there run about 4 passes on the hill then it was straight back to camp for fuel. We really did like the Elgin Lake camp ground people were super nice and the camp is nice also. Only thing i would suggest is make sure you take plenty of parts with you. We boke down a couple of times and there is a big Yamaha dealer in town but there parts selection sucked!.

Just like YZRMBSG and Dunes98 said it can be early in the year. There has been snow, high winds, and rain in the past. I would recommend a balaclava that covers your face/neck when you go if you don't already have one. But we will be there and if you end up going let us know. It is always fun and Egin Lakes is the best place to stay, we will be there. On top of that..... IT IS LESS THAN 3 WEEKS AWAY!!! I cant wait!

We've been going every memorial weekend since 96... it's a blast, just gotta bring rain gear. i only remember one year i was actually miserable because of the cold, and that was the year i wasn't drinking and my bike broke down. :cheers: the people are cool as hell memorial. we normally stay at the Idahodunesrv if you are running alky it won't be ideal though.

Edited by Duneman101

• 2 weeks later...

What a waste of time and money that was, a day and a half of somewhat decent riding, fuckin lame! At least I had good people to hang out with otherwise I would be pissed!

Sent using Tapatalk!

Did it rain half the weekend like it did in Boise? Didn't get to ride here till Sunday.