Interchangable Parts For Older Model Banshees.

bansh_88

I have an '88 Banshee that I am looking to swap out as many parts as possible on it with never model year banshee parts. Being that I have an '88 model, some newer and redesigned parts are not a direct fit which is aggravating to say the least.

So I am trying to perhaps make up a list of which newer model parts are not a direct fit on older models and perhaps which parts are different, but can be easily made to work. If anyone can help me gather up a list of what parts are not a direct fit on '88 banshees, I would greatly appreciate it. An example for this list is something that I just recently discovered. This discovery was that newer model axle bearing carriers are not a direct swap into older models. Thats too bad as I could have replaced mine with a newer model take-off piece for cheap including the bearings and all. Oh well I guess.

So if anyone can help me develope a list of which parts are definitely not interchangeable from newer to older parts, I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much.

I have an '88 Banshee that I am looking to swap out as many parts as possible on it with never model year banshee parts. Being that I have an '88 model, some newer and redesigned parts are not a direct fit which is aggravating to say the least.

So I am trying to perhaps make up a list of which newer model parts are not a direct fit on older models and perhaps which parts are different, but can be easily made to work. If anyone can help me gather up a list of what parts are not a direct fit on '88 banshees, I would greatly appreciate it. An example for this list is something that I just recently discovered. This discovery was that newer model axle bearing carriers are not a direct swap into older models. Thats too bad as I could have replaced mine with a newer model take-off piece for cheap including the bearings and all. Oh well I guess.

So if anyone can help me develope a list of which parts are definitely not interchangeable from newer to older parts, I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much.

87-89 had j-arm suspension up front. 87-90.5 had larger brake calipers but smaller pads.... 2006 and newer had a brake light...... And different years had a few different connectors for the stators....... Im sure more people will chime in...

87-89 had j-arm suspension up front. 87-90.5 had larger brake calipers but smaller pads.... 2006 and newer had a brake light...... And different years had a few different connectors for the stators....... Im sure more people will chime in...

87-90 had J arms, the front brakes changed for the 90 model, early stator is 87-94 late stator is 95 on. CDI boxes: 87-94, 95-96, 97 on. Wire harnesses 87-94, 95-96, 97-2001, 2002 on. Tailights:87-2001, 2002 on. Headlights vary by year but it is just the connectors. 89 and 90 had different rear wheels. The spring rates and even shock valving change several time over the years, but, as long as the fronts are a matched pair you can use any year.@002 on had brake lights so there are extra switches on the levers for them. Swingarms should be the same for all years. Bearing carriers: 87-88, 89 on, but the late one should fit the early bike with the right hardware. 87-88 had a 4 bolt rear sprocket, 89 on had a 6 bolt. ALL years had TORD and 97 on had the park brake rev limiter, and I belive 1991 on had the extra footguards.

Very good write up bansheesandrider. A few other things to mention. Front spindles are different between the early and late brake calipers. As long as you keep calipers and spindles together, you can swap to any year. I'm not so sure that the swingarms can be swapped with the different carriers. I think maybe the width spacing between the ears might be different between early and late. Early has 4 short bolts attaching the carrier. Late has 2 long bolts, going through tubes in the carrier. As long as you keep carrier with swingarm, you can swap into any year. 89 and 90 have a rear wheel bolt pattern of 4 on 156mm. (Same as the front) All other years use 4 on 115mm on the rear. As far as the front shocks, 87 was really stiff. I think 88 was a little softer. I think 89 to current is much better. There may be some slight variations in valving on the 89 to current versions, but probably not significant.

Great replies here guys, thanks! :headbang:

Does anyone know if the rear axle nuts are interchangeable between earlier and later models? The axle nuts on my '88 have a spanner type nut which I would like to replace if possible, with the newer regular type of axle nuts which use a regular wrench as opposed to a spanner wrench. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again guys. Does anyone know if the coils and front wheel hubs are the same per all years? If they are not exactly the same, are the newer ones still interchangeable on older models?

Also, I imagine that the newer model rear axle carriers are a much better design than the old design, but can anyone briefly describe how they are actually better or different? I am thinking of switching to the newer rear carrier and have just purchased a nice swing-arm and rear suspension arm from a newer model Banshee. Just curious to know what makes the newer design better. I am under the impression that the swing-arm and rear suspension arm is completely interchangeable. Am I correct?

THANKS!!!! :notworthy:

Only diff is newer use two long bolts instead of four short ones. Quite an improvement :jesterlaugh: O yeah, hex nuts instead of spanner nuts banghead

Thanks for the reply. Was the change to 2 longer bolts (from 4 shorter bolts) perhaps meant to help make the chain adjustment easier? (I havent had to tighten my chain yet, so I'm unsure if the longer bolts would make it easier).

And yea, spanner nuts on the axle of the earlier models instead of regular hex nuts seems to be quite the odd design decision! I wonder what possessed Yamaha to use them on the earlier models. Very odd. :confused:

Edited by bansh_88