Footpeg bolt hole

I was taking my footpegs off to install new stainless bolts that are on the way, and I realized that the threaded part in the frame is holding the bolt very little, like it was stripped out in the past. Is there a safe way to redo this thread for a new bolt when it arrives? I do have a welder and a tap set, is it as simple as that?

Yeah, but the bolts are coming and I want them all to be the same size. Ive had enough of the bolts being a pile of mismatched rusty shit like the previous owner installed. Can I tap it and helicoil it? Will a helicoil even come this big, or will it hold me, Im 6'3" 210 lbs?

Edited by midlifecrisis

When I got my banshee, the previous owner brilliantly welded on the footpeg. I had to replace the front thread completely and was able to helicoil the back. It turns out the lug nuts are the same size thread (M10-1.0 i think, double check me on that) as the footpeg. Here's how I fixed it ... (with pics)

http://www.exriders....threadid=441146

There was a member on here who had a small lathe. He cut off the threaded surface completely and turned a large piece of round stock, large enough to fit into the frame at the rear hole. It had a lip thick enough to replace the frame ends he cut off and he drilled and tapped a new hole into the center for the pegs then welded it in place. Very definitely better than the stock frame. But not much good if your problem is the front hole. Mine's holding up perfectly and I ride on my feet all the time on very rocky trails. I jump moderately too.

Hope this helps.

Edited by muggzy

When I got my banshee, the previous owner brilliantly welded on the footpeg. I had to replace the front thread completely and was able to helicoil the back. It turns out the lug nuts are the same size thread (M10-1.0 i think, double check me on that) as the footpeg. Here's how I fixed it ... (with pics)

http://www.exriders....threadid=441146

There was a member on here who had a small lathe. He cut off the threaded surface completely and turned a large piece of round stock, large enough to fit into the frame at the rear hole. It had a lip thick enough to replace the frame ends he cut off and he drilled and tapped a new hole into the center for the pegs then welded it in place. Very definitely better than the stock frame. But not much good if your problem is the front hole. Mine's holding up perfectly and I ride on my feet all the time on very rocky trails. I jump moderately too.

Hope this helps.

Nice tutorial Muggzy, I couldnt see the shots,but I definitely get the idea. My neighbour has all the tools youre talking about including the metal lathe, so Ill see what we can come up with.

Thanks everyone for the ideas, Now Ive just got to get off my ass and try them out!

Nice tutorial Muggzy, I couldnt see the shots,but I definitely get the idea. My neighbour has all the tools youre talking about including the metal lathe, so Ill see what we can come up with.

Thanks everyone for the ideas, Now Ive just got to get off my ass and try them out!

Not sure why you cant see the pics. Here they are in a nutshell. It helps to know what's in there. :cheers: Good luck!

1weldedonpegremoved.jpg

2Testfitthelugnutsm.jpg

The hole on the right has a helicoil in it.

P1010015.jpg

Not sure why you cant see the pics. Here they are in a nutshell. It helps to know what's in there. :cheers: Good luck!

1weldedonpegremoved.jpg

2Testfitthelugnutsm.jpg

The hole on the right has a helicoil in it.

P1010015.jpg