j-arms

cj7den

My shee is a 87 with the j-arm. The stearing is really twitchy. Someone on here said the ball joints. My riding is tight trails and pits. I think wider arms on the front would get to wide, mabey? But in the end would I benifit from arms moved forward and/or wider? Also places to get j-arms. Seen steller, who else?

Edited by cj7den

My shee is a 87 with the j-arm. The stearing is really twitchy. Someone on here said the ball joints. My riding is tight trails and pits. I think wider arms on the front would get to wide, mabey? But in the end would I benifit from arms moved forward and/or wider? Also places to get j-arms. Seen steller, who else?

Try replacing your bushings in you J arms that might help.

This is my first attempt at lending advise so i hope i don't botch it to bad, im sure if i get anything wrong someone will certainly call me out on it :shootself:

If you suspect you have some loose ball joints or tie rod ends one way to check it would be to jack the front wheels off the ground and push/lift on the tire and watch for any slop/play in the ball joints. Being an 87 its highly possible that some or all have taken a beating and have a little play.

Wider arms are going to give you more stability and a wider stance, if you do a lot of blazing in the woods your going to want to consider whether or not an additional 2 or 4 inches of width in the front is going to be a hindrance. Having a set of wider arms built also allows you more choices in what shocks you want to run, from what i have gathered even going to a stock YFZ 450 shock which are longer than banshee shocks are a huge upgrade over stock.

Im actually building an 87 right now and Tim at Stellar is building a set of extended J-arms for me, were both in Tucson so i got to go to his shop and look around when i placed my order, his fabrication is on point and i cant wait to get my arms, so i would say if your thinking about getting a set made hes the guy to talk to, great guy to deal with.

Hope this helps and im sure some other people will chime in as well.