engine rebuild

Hey guys im new to this site but not new to wrenchin.

i let my motor go a little to long and it flipped a ring, also broke a little piece of the piston under the ring

so when i look into the crank case its all dirty and theres little ground up pieces in there but doesnt look damaged just a little dirty, dont really wana take the bottom end apart but i will if i have too.

do you guys think that i can just clean it up or what.

Edited by Teo Blaikie

I dropped some sand in mine a few weeks ago and the advice I got was to fill with diesel and dump a few times then fill spin crank empty fill spin crank and empty.....

Made sense. To me. Half people said split case other half said to do diesel thing. Diesel keeps everything oiled like bearings.

I got everything together and ran it at dunes and no problems yet.

I would split the Cases and remove all of the old pieces and parts. If there is a piece of metal in there it will destroy the motor. BigRed350x put together a great Walkthrough on case splitting and rebuilding. I recommend it! Switch out the Permatex for Yamabond though. It is a better product. You also can check out your crank bearings, and redo your crank seals for piece of mind.

Adam

why risk trashing a new top end by half assing the rebuild... its not hard to split the cases and know for sure that the crank case is clean. Also a good time to throw new crank case seals in the motor. I have seen engines break pistons and take out the case seals... this will cause the engine to lean out and blow up again in a short order of time when ya rebuild it. Would also recommend having your crank trued and welded while ya have it out. good insurance for when ya start adding power to the motor..... seen one too many cranks come out of phase and cause the engine to blow up.