Plug chops

gh2010ism

Little confused here I did a plug chop with stock reeds and then switched to vf3 reeds. The vf3 made my main jet richer but it seemed to lean my middle if I'm reading the plug right that is the top part of the porclin on the plug. As you can see The one with the stock reeds is alittle black on top of the plug and lighter at the bottom for the main jet.. The vf3 is darker and thicker at the bottom for the main jet and does not leave much on the top of the porclin is it just alot richer and washing it out or is it lean on the bottom and rich up top. It does have a little bog bc it made it a good bit richer. My main right now it 340 clip postion is one postion leaner. Any help would be great as I did not imagine it would change my jetting this much...

post-41668-0-45406400-1325195596_thumb.jpg

post-41668-0-78959300-1325195610_thumb.jpg

Edited by gh2010ism

Little confused here I did a plug chop with stock reeds and then switched to vf3 reeds. The vf3 made my main jet richer but it seemed to lean my middle if I'm reading the plug right that is the top part of the porclin on the plug. As you can see The one with the stock reeds is alittle black on top of the plug and lighter at the bottom for the main jet.. The vf3 is darker and thicker at the bottom for the main jet and does not leave much on the top of the porclin is it just alot richer and washing it out or is it lean on the bottom and rich up top. It does have a little bog bc it made it a good bit richer. My main right now it 340 clip postion is one postion leaner. Any help would be great as I did not imagine it would change my jetting this much...

Anything is better than nothing. I'm just confused as to why the first one has the brown at the top and the second one does not.. Am I lean in the needle? Should it even be brown on the top from one wot pass. I am pretty sure the second one is pretty rich on the main. Any advice would be great thanks....

I think you are reading your plug chops wrong. You are looking at the ring at the base of the plug not the tip. You want this ring to be about the thickness of a dime and well defined. Any thicker and you are most likely rich, any thinner and you are most likely lean. When you do your plug chop, use brand new plugs, start the bike and wrap it out through all the gears then hit the kill switch with the clutch in and coast to a stop. Pull the plugs out and put the old ones back in to ride back to the shop to do the chop.

Here is another thread that was recently created about this. I would say you are a little rich.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=149773

I think you are reading your plug chops wrong. You are looking at the ring at the base of the plug not the tip. You want this ring to be about the thickness of a dime and well defined. Any thicker and you are most likely rich, any thinner and you are most likely lean. When you do your plug chop, use brand new plugs, start the bike and wrap it out through all the gears then hit the kill switch with the clutch in and coast to a stop. Pull the plugs out and put the old ones back in to ride back to the shop to do the chop.

Here is another thread that was recently created about this. I would say you are a little rich.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=149773

Thanks for the reply I did the plug chop just as you and everyone has described. The one on the right is after I installed the vf3 reeds and it seems to be alot richer on the main jet but somehow I lost color on the tip of the plug. That is were I get confused bc if it is richer shouldn't the top be colored more than the first one..

Thanks for the reply I did the plug chop just as you and everyone has described. The one on the right is after I installed the vf3 reeds and it seems to be alot richer on the main jet but somehow I lost color on the tip of the plug. That is were I get confused bc if it is richer shouldn't the top be colored more than the first one..

Not necessarily, If I remember correctly, the ring around the base is just a way to guage your main circuit. I have never really payed attention to the tip of the plug in a chop.

Not necessarily, If I remember correctly, the ring around the base is just a way to guage your main circuit. I have never really payed attention to the tip of the plug in a chop.

I did the plug chop before and after I changed the reeds. But I notice a bog now that I did not have before it seems to not want to rev as quick so I guess something is rich it sounds fine as long as you just rev it but when you put it under a load you can tell. I checked the pilot it doesn't seem lean I have the needle on the next to leanest clip and I notice the main is a good bit richer so I guess thats what it is...

I did the plug chop before and after I changed the reeds. But I notice a bog now that I did not have before it seems to not want to rev as quick so I guess something is rich it sounds fine as long as you just rev it but when you put it under a load you can tell. I checked the pilot it doesn't seem lean I have the needle on the next to leanest clip and I notice the main is a good bit richer so I guess thats what it is...

I would say you are rich for sure. Needle adjustment is not going to make a huge difference, it will just help dial your jetting in a bit more. Post up your mods and elevation and we can help you with the correct jetting.

I would say you are rich for sure. Needle adjustment is not going to make a huge difference, it will just help dial your jetting in a bit more. Post up your mods and elevation and we can help you with the correct jetting.

aggressive dune port, Plus 4 timing, t5 pipes, k&n pods, and I'm at sea level. I just had it dyno tuned and it was running great all I did was change the reeds.....

I agree with you , it looks like your fat up top. I sometime do chops on both the main as well as doing the same type of chop under a load at 1/2 throttle and look at the same ring and adjust from there but keep it just slightly richer than the main. I usually just do the needle by feel. If you want to just do a 1/2 throttle chop and see what it looks like. You may need to drop the needle a clip or two. I think by the time you drop your needle your main will look about right as lowering the needle/raising the clip affects the mainjet fuel flow slightly as well. I pay no attention to the color at the top of the porcelain.