Shock Absorber Loose Caps.

bansh_88

While cleaning my banshee shocks, I just noticed that both shocks have a cap on the top of each that are loose and move up and down freely on the shock shaft. Underneath these caps appear to be a washer. I have never noticed these loose caps on my shocks before and am curious to know if this means that my shocks are blown or in need to be repaired. For all I know, this could be normal but something that I never noticed before. :confused:

Can anyone explain the purpose of these caps and if they are supposed to be tightly fitted on the shock absorber? With these caps loose (if its not normal), does it mean that the shocks are blown? If so, is it an inexpensive fit like press-fitting them back on, or do the entire shocks both need to be replaced?

When I grab the front bumper and press downward, it seems to me that the shocks are working just fine. So I am confused. Could anyone shed any light on this question? Thanks a lot.

Edited by bansh_88

While cleaning my banshee shocks, I just noticed that both shocks have a cap on the top of each that are loose and move up and down freely on the shock shaft. Underneath these caps appear to be a washer. I have never noticed these loose caps on my shocks before and am curious to know if this means that my shocks are blown or in need to be repaired. For all I know, this could be normal but something that I never noticed before. :confused:

Can anyone explain the purpose of these caps and if they are supposed to be tightly fitted on the shock absorber? With these caps loose (if its not normal), does it mean that the shocks are blown? If so, is it an inexpensive fit like press-fitting them back on, or do the entire shocks both need to be replaced?

When I grab the front bumper and press downward, it seems to me that the shocks are working just fine. So I am confused. Could anyone shed any light on this question? Thanks a lot.

I honestly don't know since I'm new to the quad and haven't even looked at it but I'm guessing it might be a vent? Like on a auto trans for a car or something which has the loose kinda cap design but just guessing. I'll look next time I work on mine

just send a PM to MattSCS on the site here......he's our resident suspension sponsor that rebuilds shocks. He will let you know if your issue is normal or if there is a way to fix it......personally i don't like playing with things like that.....serious injuries can happen if you dont know what your doing....