need to beat 450r

gh2010ism

Hi I have a stock stroke banshee with a dune port, t5 pipes, plus 4 timing, stock reeds and carbs, coolhead 21cc domes I'm at sea level. I have 340 mains and my bike has been dyno tuned plugs are tan. I have a friend with a honda 450r with the Honda racing cam, port work, lowering kit, dyna cdi. As of right now we raced all day on asphalt and in the dirt we are about dead even every race. We raced from a roll alot also to take as much driver era out of it as possible. So I'm wondering would say 35 mm carbs or Cpi pipes be the next big increase or maybe vf3 reeds. I would like to be able to put a couple of bike lengths on the 450r. If anyone knows what will make the difference please let me know.. I just had the motor rebuilt so I do not want to have to go back into the engine to make it a stroker. I know alot people say stock carbs are good with a stock stroke and some say t5 pipes are good also. So I would like to know if anyone has seen a big difference with carbs or cpi pipes on a stock stroke bike with port work thanks..

I'm not so much looking for hp number for each mod as I am actually performance. I would like to know if changing these things will make a noticeable difference thanks....

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the bike may be able to walk his bike.....but the rider may be keeping the bike from walking his bike. How about ordering in some new domes from some of our sponsors....drop the CC to raise your compression and start running some reace fuel. Then you can just pull the head again and throw in the other domes to go back to non-race fuel.

Maybe I missed something but I don't think its 79hp?

I would agree you should be beating him, but you also said he has a cam and port work so I'm sure his bike is fast as well. A better set of pipes and carbs will for sure help you in a drag race but will make trail ridding not as easy. Some people like the very pipey bike that is your call.

You could also play with gearing.

we raced mainly from a roll to take operator era out of it. I can ride wfo and shift fast as hell he can to. We changed bikes same out come. I have read that you need more hp in a two stroke to beat a 4 stroke and I am starting to believe its true. He raced a stock raptor with his bike and walked it by many many bike lengths his bike is pretty fast and we dynoed on the same dyno. His bike has 51 hp mine dynoed at 79 and we are dead even from a roll holding throttle down and flicking the shifter to shift fast on both bikes. The banshee weighs like 40 pounds more than the 450r and I weigh about 10 pounds more than my friend. I love the banshee but the 450r modded is really no joke. I guess I'll put some cpi pipes and 35mm carbs and see if the outcome changes. I mean to be fair I have a stock motor with a good bit of port work and he has put some money into his bike. Also we raced a bunch of times not just a few like 20 times and the same thing always happen. I have read many post about almost stock banshee beating 450 but I don't think those where ported, lowered, cammed, bikes. Unless the t5 and stock carbs are really holding me back its a tight race.

Theres no doubt that some CPI's, 33's and good reeds will make a huge difference, Im gonna say that with your current mods 79hp is sorta far fetched. JMO

But 450's once they are worked can be a handfull, Just alittle example.

My yfz450 with your basic bolt ons, DRD full exhaust, KN filter, cam mod, YZ needle, zip tie mod and thats basically it- I have put a hurting on a few stock stroke ported banshee's- there are a few members on here than can vouch for my 450 being beastly ( zach45, Infamous039, SD1026, NYCMarine)

Alot of guys come on here saying the 450's are shit, they actually run quit well once tuned/setup correctly!!

BUT, if your bike is really putting down those #'s the problem might be else where. My 4mil shee is somewhere in the 80's and worked 450's arent touching me!!

Just to be clear, I am NOT saying the 450's are shit. I'm saying something smells like tuna if you have 79hp and can't beat a 50hp 450.

Not by any means was that directed towards you, I did specify that if his #'s are true and he putting down 80Hp the problem is elsewhere, possibly the rider, gearing, tire size and/or psi, swinger and suspension setup etc

Joe