banshee won't kick start in winter even if i rejet properly

yakidou

Need some help form the pro out there!!!

I got a 2001 banshee with fmf fattys and powercore 2 silencers. I got a stock airbox with a prodesign foam filter and air snorkel removed. Stock mikuni carbs, stock reeds and stock everything else except my motor which is 0.80 over or 68mm piston size something like that.

Summer jetting (70F-90F) was 280 mains with 25 pilot jet.

Winter jetting (5F to 15F) is 310-320 mains with 30 pilot jet.

The banshee won't kick start at all, unless i am towed by another atv so i can start it while i am on the 6 gear using the compression.

Once the banshee is running using the push start method it runs fine and perfect. The plugs are medium brown. My problem is when i leave the banshee alone and it gets cold again and try to start it again it won't even come close to starting. Why i do not know, maybe my pilot jet needs to be to 32.5 or 35 can someone help me...

I got fire on my plugs and everything is fine. My float are set to 21 mm and i have done a lot of reading and searching on here and google but i cant find any useful info to help me on what next thing i could do or check.

So i need advice from the pro out here or someone who has had the same problem.

Your help is very much appreciated i got a winter trip on the 26 of december and would like to be able to go with my baby!!!

Any help is really appreciated.

Compression is good on both cylinder 123psi.

My pilot jet is good too because i tried with a 27.5 pilot jet before and when i would rev out the motor and let the gas off it would not come back immediately to idle but would rev a little higher than normal for a couple of seconds and then would come back to a normal idle which means that i was lean on my pilot. With the 30 pilot jet installed right now i have a quick response on the throtle and from WOT back to idle.

I installed new plugs too and it still won't start. I got it yesterday to show some sign of life but it did not start even if i heard a tiny burp from the motor.

My guest right now is that i do not have enough fuel going in the motor or too much. My plug are not wet at all even if i kick start 30 times which kind of tell me there is not enough fuel. My air mixture is at 1 1/2 turn right now. When the bike runs she runs fine so i guest my air mixture is set right.

I have notice yesterday that the bike when i pull the choke will not bog and would run quite good too but with a little throttle hesitation but would rev at WOT with no problem at all. I will remove my carb today and put a bigger main jet on it because of that to see if there is any difference on startup. I found out too that my gas tank is dripping tiny amounts of fuel by the petcock. Unfortunately all stores are closed today and i will need to order the o rings from my yamaha dealer which will take some time before i can test her again : (

Thanks for the help.

If you have any other ideas feel free to share.

P.S My magneto is on spec too by the way. I'll wait before i do a leak down test because it take more time and i need to remove the motor right? I'll look into that thanks !

• 3 weeks later...

i think you have the bowls mixed up from side to side. the one w/brass bb (looks like its pushed into the alum. halfway) on lower front of bowl MUST go on left carb or one with choke knob.. This bowl has the choke circuit and the other one does not. Please check and advise.

i think you have the bowls mixed up from side to side. the one w/brass bb (looks like its pushed into the alum. halfway) on lower front of bowl MUST go on left carb or one with choke knob.. This bowl has the choke circuit and the other one does not. Please check and advise.

this happen more than you think..

Hey, I was wondering what the solution ended up being. I am having a very similar issue. I have gone through all of the same steps and not having any luck. It will start if bump started, or if I spray carb and choke cleaner into the cylinders. I thought this was ironic because when I pull the plugs out, they are already wet after me kicking it as if it's flooded. I get spark on both plugs, about 135psi in both cylinders. The reeds look to be in good shape, stock carbs with 37.5 pilots and 330 mains, floats set at 21mm. Inspected flywheel and timing. Tried the float bowls on both carbs for the heck of it. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Motor specs

4mm crank

Vito's dished pistons

Chariot cool head with 21cc domes

Vforce 3 reeds

K&N pod filters with outerwears

FMF fattys with turbinecores

Dyna coil

Procom cdi

I think that's it....

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I was wondering what the solution ended up being. I am having a very similar issue. I have gone through all of the same steps and not having any luck. It will start if bump started, or if I spray carb and choke cleaner into the cylinders. I thought this was ironic because when I pull the plugs out, they are already wet after me kicking it as if it's flooded. I get spark on both plugs, about 135psi in both cylinders. The reeds look to be in good shape, stock carbs with 37.5 pilots and 330 mains, floats set at 21mm. Inspected flywheel and timing. Tried the float bowls on both carbs for the heck of it. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Motor specs

4mm crank

Vito's dished pistons

Chariot cool head with 21cc domes

Vforce 3 reeds

K&N pod filters with outerwears

FMF fattys with turbinecores

Dyna coil

Procom cdi

I think that's it....

37.5? :blink: Pretty big tho. What elev? I would think it's still pretty big.