Warning

Tedder

This info isn't new but I hope to spread the word to those who may be unaware of the dangers of using brake cleaner around flame or welding. When I originally found out about it I thought I'd warned my son until he recently told me that he was almost overtaken when working with it in the garage with a kerosene heater going. Hearing that made my blood run cold! He hadn't used that much or sprayed it towards the heater. Here's the link that will hopefully keep a tragady from happening.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

This info isn't new but I hope to spread the word to those who may be unaware of the dangers of using brake cleaner around heat/flame. When I originally found out about it I thought I'd warned my son until he recently told me that he was almost overtaken when working with it in the garage with a kerosene heater going. Hearing that made my blood run cold! He hadn't used that much or sprayed it towards the heater. Here's the link that will hopefully keep a tragady from happening.

http://www.brewracin...es.com/id75.htm

not good to breathe it either way but in that case it was the way it reacted with the argon in the shielding gas.

not good to breathe it either way but in that case it was the way it reacted with the argon in the shielding gas.

True that the argon turned it into phosgene which is extremley dangerous but when burned it releases corrosive gasses that can cause big problems and damage.

Just want everyone to be safe...

Pretty sure this is why all of these chemical companies tell you to only use them in well ventilated areas & why they provide MSDS sheets for their products. Whenever I am using carb cleaner, brake cleaner, anything like that I have a large exhaust fan running to pull the fumes away, as well as a large fresh-air intake for my shop that forces fresh-air into the shop. Also, any good welder will grind/clean the surface they are working on before welding on it. If you follow the precautions outlined in your MSDS sheets and have adaqueate ventilation and use good practices, things like this wouldn't be as much of an issue as they are. Slow down and take the time to read some of those lables and check out the MSDS sheets for the stuff you use every day and you could avoid a lot of things like this happening in the first place.

- Jared

I agree BigRed. It's cool that you read and follow up on the safe use of products you use. You'll probably be in better shape than me when you reach my age lol. Unfortunately I think people become desensitized because warning labels and dangers are so prevalent in our daily lives. Heck, there isn't anything made that won't cause cancer in the State of California. Not everyone's lucky enough to have a state of the art shop. Countless DIYer's only have home garages or machinery sheds to work out of. I'm sure certified welders are schooled on the dangers of brake cleaner and wouldn't be surprised if most in the trade don't need to use it. In this case even good ventilation or open doors may not be enough. A few whiffs of smoke is all thats needed to cause deadly heath problems. We all seem to have the ability to gauge dangerous situations and avoid those with immeadiate deadly consiquence but unless something will drop us in our tracks those with cummulative effects such as smoking (I don't), getting methanol, gasoline or carb cleaner on our skin etc, possibly even cell phone use we tend to not be as careful.

I hope my post isn't was just another warning that gets ignored..... :confused:

This is serious SHIT!! I had this happen to me when i was TIG welding the bleed holes up in some diesel injector bodies. Guy with me had cleaned them with brake cleaner without me knowing, i thought he had rinsed them in water for the final wipe down. I remember that chlorine taste and smell, it was overwhelming! I was so so sick for 4 months, I was in and out of emergency rooms 6-7 times from my adrenal glands fucking up and kicking me in to panic attacks,sometimes while I was asleep, but no one could figure out why. If you've never had a full blown Panic Attack it's hard to understand, but you could pass a polygraph if some asked you if you were about to die. That has been 3 yrs ago, I was only exposed to the phosgene for maybe 25 seconds , and I still take 4 differrent medicines everyday and will still have an occasional attack, plus constant sinus problems and I get bronchitis 1-2 a year. Please pay attention to this, my wife cried off and on for 4 months because she thought I was dying (i thought I was as well) plus it has changed me. I'm not physically the same as I was before, and never will be. It has had a huge impact on my life, and I hope no one ever has to deal with it.

It should be more common knowledge than it currently is, especially with so many more home garages having Argon in them due to TIG being more popular than ever due to the current machines that make it easier to do and less expensive than before. I know MSDS sheets are available and labels state the dangers, but everyone gets complacent and forgets about the dangers of the chemicals around us. How many people read the warnings on every can or box they pick up, let alone go get a MSDS, especially in a home garage?

I just hope people read this thread and keep this in mind.

Thanks for replying to my post Beastydeuce. Maybe hearing first hand from an HQ member will keep someone else from the same fate and help spread the word .

I'm really sorry for your health problems and hope the best for you.

Ted