2011 banshee turning off at idle.

Uf21

Hi. This is my first banshee and my first post on this forum.

My banshee runs fine when riding but if I let it idle it will always turn off. It would idle for a few second an then turn off. It sounds like the idle is too low. Though the thing is when I bought it 2 months ago it never use to do that.

What could be the issue and how can I fix it?

Could it be the spark plugs?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for a Manuel. A cheat way to adjust the idle is to adjust it at the throttle.

But most people buy the tors eleminator kit which worker really well. Hit up a stie sponcer.

Though I'm just wondering if the actual problem is that the idle is too low cause the banshee is only 2 months old. Could it be something else like the plugs? Cause I have changed the spark plugs to the same type that was in it already.

Also if I don't remove tors will I be able to adjust idle?

yes....you can still raise your idle. Remove your seat. look for the two big ass clunky pieces of crap aluminum that are on the tops of your carbs. Look at the tops of these boxes......see the twist style adjust on the top.....about the size of a dime? if you turn that to the right (move each one in small incrimates and equal amounts for each) then you will raise the idle.

Many of us have taken the TORS (throttle over ride system) off of our bikes because they eventually have issues and wind up leaving you on the trail trying to diagnose it AND it makes the carbs a HELL of a lot harder to work on with that crap on the top of them.

my suggestion to you is to buy a clymers manual (usually about $25-35) and read up.......and read read read on here......you will learn more than you wanted to know about 2stroke motors and banshees....

well, since your bike is not running away, look under your gas tank, you will see a tiny little black box with 3 wires going to a plug, then to a harness. disconnect that plug and see if it will idle. than read up on tuning your carbs. the manual will tell you pretty much how, but this site is more intuitive/experienced/informative. get familiar with the carb mantenance and adjustments and learn how to read what the bike is telling you, and it will last and perform well.

.... oh, and if those idle screws stop, don't force them, just go the other direction because they are at the limits and the plastic will break

• 2 weeks later...

well, since your bike is not running away, look under your gas tank, you will see a tiny little black box with 3 wires going to a plug, then to a harness. disconnect that plug and see if it will idle. than read up on tuning your carbs. the manual will tell you pretty much how, but this site is more intuitive/experienced/informative. get familiar with the carb mantenance and adjustments and learn how to read what the bike is telling you, and it will last and perform well.

.... oh, and if those idle screws stop, don't force them, just go the other direction because they are at the limits and the plastic will break

It will idle but it just sounds like the idle is too low. If I take off that plug is there any chance of anything else messing up on it?

yes....you can still raise your idle. Remove your seat. look for the two big ass clunky pieces of crap aluminum that are on the tops of your carbs. Look at the tops of these boxes......see the twist style adjust on the top.....about the size of a dime? if you turn that to the right (move each one in small incrimates and equal amounts for each) then you will raise the idle.

Many of us have taken the TORS (throttle over ride system) off of our bikes because they eventually have issues and wind up leaving you on the trail trying to diagnose it AND it makes the carbs a HELL of a lot harder to work on with that crap on the top of them.

my suggestion to you is to buy a clymers manual (usually about $25-35) and read up.......and read read read on here......you will learn more than you wanted to know about 2stroke motors and banshees....

If I do turn those screws to adjust idle how will I know if the carbs are getting equal amount of air?

Also a Side note. I changed the spark plugs today and it is revving much cleaner and with much less smoking coming out of exhaust on cold startup.

Edited by Uf21

no....disconnecting the little black box under the gas tank on the left side will not effect anything else. it is the brain box for the TORS system. The TORS boxes are just giant housing that hold micro-switches to sense if the throttle lever is in the idle position and the carb slide is in the open position.....thus cutting your ignition to stop the chances of a run away bike. if your just adjusting the idle screws on top of the TORS boxes then it raises and lowers the idle by raising or lowering the carb slide.

To FULLY ensure that each carb is getting the correct amount of air you need to purchse a carb sync tool which meters the amount of air being sucked into each carb.

no....disconnecting the little black box under the gas tank on the left side will not effect anything else. it is the brain box for the TORS system. The TORS boxes are just giant housing that hold micro-switches to sense if the throttle lever is in the idle position and the carb slide is in the open position.....thus cutting your ignition to stop the chances of a run away bike. if your just adjusting the idle screws on top of the TORS boxes then it raises and lowers the idle by raising or lowering the carb slide.

To FULLY ensure that each carb is getting the correct amount of air you need to purchse a carb sync tool which meters the amount of air being sucked into each carb.

Ah k thanks for info.

Though if the carbs aren't getting exactly the same amount of air will that cause other issues/problems?

I'm having the same problem with my 02, Did you Figure it out?

Not yet

yes it can....and no it can't. lol. you want to be able to look into the carb throat and see the 2 carb slides moving up and down at the same time. It wont make it run so bad that it wont run.....it just wont run up to its optimal performance

So all that will happen is it wont run at peak performance and am i right in saying that I can try to adjust it by eye/ear until I do it properly?

Here's the thing though. I bought it brand new 3-4 months ago and it was running perfectly fine . If it really is the idle thats the problem, how could the idle setting have changed on its own?

Look in your owners manual, it might tell how to adjust idle. There is a knob (about 12mm in diameter) on top of each carb, adjust both same amount. Will only need a little, maybe 1/16- 1/8 turn. What has happened is that cables strech and parts wear ever so slightly and you have to adjust for it. Also, check/clean your air filter. :cheers: